What Can You Do With an Old Water Heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
I just replaced my 40 gallon water heater. The unit is 27 years old, so had a good life. The hole developed at the top of the tank. So I'm wondering, can I reuse the burner jets and thermostat to make a nice brew setup? What about cutting the top off to make a HUGE stainless steel brew pot? I'm open to suggestions, just curious.

Throw it away. You got your $300 out of it. :)

I just replaced my 40 gallon water heater. The unit is 27 years old, so had a good life. The hole developed at the top of the tank. So I'm wondering, can I reuse the burner jets and thermostat to make a nice brew setup? What about cutting the top off to make a HUGE stainless steel brew pot? I'm open to suggestions, just curious.

after 30 years i would imagine the inside looks aweful. you might as well cut the top off and see whats inside before tossing it, but i wouldnt get my hopes of using it up too much.

Is the burner still useful though? I just replaced my 18 year old burner and was thinking the valve and burner could come in handy for a NG stand build :D.

Is the burner still useful though? I just replaced my 18 year old burner and was thinking the valve and burner could come in handy for a NG stand build :D.

My thoughts exactly. It seems like the burner could do something...

Cut it open. Take a picture of the inside. Post it in the "Do you use hot water to brew" thread.

Cut it open. Take a picture of the inside. Post it in the "Do you use hot water to brew" thread.

Of which all those deposits were in the water to begin with. Those that line the tank, are not. Furthermore, you should also consider that many breweries use "boilers" which are little more than Water heaters on steroids.

So, your point is?

OP, set it to the curb with a sign that says $10 and watch in amazement as it mysteriously disappears within hours.

Of which all those deposits were in the water to begin with. Those that line the tank, are not. Furthermore, you should also consider that many breweries use "boilers" which are little more than Water heaters on steroids.

So, your point is?

Breweries use boilers for the steam to heat the mash and boil pots, they don't use that water for brewing.

There are a few reasons to not use water from a water heater. Hot water breaks metals down faster then cold water, the metal in the heater, copper pipes...ect all ends up in the water. This is why chefs do not use hot water for cooking.

You cannot filter hot water, if you run hot water through a filter it does just the opposite and the stuff in the filter comes out with the water. Activated carbon filters will become deactivated with hot water.

Most breweries I have seen use a Heat Exchanger.

As a former chef of one of these breweries, I would never use hot water to cook or brew with. Not even my coffee.

That's how I started off in AG. I just took the whole assembly and welded it to a stick of 1" tubing. A couple car ramps and I was in business. It wasn't the most powerful setup, I think 34k btu, but it worked. I'm much happier with the 23 tip burners I have now though.

Breweries use boilers for the steam to heat the mash and boil pots, they don't use that water for brewing.

There are a few reasons to not use water from a water heater. Hot water breaks metals down faster then cold water, the metal in the heater, copper pipes...ect all ends up in the water. This is why chefs do not use hot water for cooking.

You cannot filter hot water, if you run hot water through a filter it does just the opposite and the stuff in the filter comes out with the water. Activated carbon filters will become deactivated with hot water.

While true of some breweries using steam jackets not all do. There are some who use boilers in place of HLT's.

And, you can filter hot water with the appropriate filter systems. These are very common and while usually only 10 Micron for home use, Activated carbon is not the only filtering media in use. And is not necessary in hot systems since the heating tends to allow precipitation and settling.

This stance that Hot Water systems should be deemed as non-potable is pure ignorant rediculousness and is a slap in teh face to the Certification Processes held so dearly to ensure that standards are met or exceeded. Namely, NSF Certification, which btw is also who certifies the systems on the cold side too.

The primary risk of concern with domestic Hot Water Systems is the entrapment and breeding of Legionairres (SP) Disease but, the risk is not associated only with the act of drinking the water from the system. If the system is infected with the bacteria you are just as likely to get Pneumonia from it taking a shower as you are from drinking the water.

Ideally, ALL DHWS would be kept at 150*F+ to kill off any potential bacterial growth and anti-scald fixtures would be used at the outlets. But then, that don't fit well with the pocket book does it?

I have 2 kids, and 3 showers, all fed by a 50 gallon tank kept at 155*F.

If you prefer to NOT consume Domestic Hot Water so be it, that is your choice. But unless you have facts to prove otherwise, do not convict the system in general as non-potable when International Code requires it.

I took two of them to the recyclers a couple of weeks ago. Got $25.

While true of some breweries using steam jackets not all do. There are some who use boilers in place of HLT's.

I have a 25hp boiler, there is no way you could use that for water, they are good for MT heating and boil pots only. We use "water heaters" specifically made for that purpose, not household heaters like the OP was asking about.

And, you can filter hot water with the appropriate filter systems. These are very common and while usually only 10 Micron for home use, Activated carbon is not the only filtering media in use. And is not necessary in hot systems since the heating tends to allow precipitation and settling.

You can get hot water filters but we don't use them in breweries, it's easier/cheaper to filter before heating the water and you don't get all of the crap precipitating in the water heater.
Carbon filters are used to remove chlorine/chloramines, we use them prior to heating the water.

This stance that Hot Water systems should be deemed as non-potable is pure ignorant rediculousness and is a slap in teh face to the Certification Processes held so dearly to ensure that standards are met or exceeded. Namely, NSF Certification, which btw is also who certifies the systems on the cold side too.

Again, we are talking about household heaters. You CAN drink the water from one but who would?? I don't know of anyone that uses water from a household heater for cooking or drinking and any chef would frown on it's use.

I don't know of anyone that uses water from a household heater for cooking or drinking and any chef would frown on it's use.

You are joking, right? I imagine that 90% of people cooking at home in America use hot water from the tap to cook in.

Google "cooking with hot tap water"

"The EPA recommends that you do not use water taken from the hot tap for cooking or drinking"

Water heater? Are you going to ferment in the bathtub? Just kidding :)
Any tank that is in good condition will work fine. In fact, you could get a pretty big brew going. Hopefully your taking the tank out of the water heater shell? It would look strange if you showed your brewery/water heater to your friends. I think your on the right track. Please post the results with pics, old water heaters could be a great source for large capacity brews. In fact, do a picture blog showing each step of the way. I'm sure everyone, including me, would love to see your work.
My club, the Maltose Falcons(.com), used several old 30 gallon swimming pool filter tanks and they work fine. I think there are pics on the website.

Good Luck,

I'll keep arguing with you. Those breweries that might use boilers, I bet they clean them often.

Who in here changes out there anode rod when needed and drains their Water Heater ever 6 months as suggested by the manufacturers to combat the expected corrosion and sediment build up? I understand what you're saying to a certain point but the reality is most folks have never drained their water heaters and have no idea what the inside of them currently look like.

But to each their own. some folks worry about water enough to use RO water. Others filter it other ways. That is the opposite end of the spectrum from using water out of your Hot Water tank.

I don't go so far to filter my water but I also don't use water from my 30 year old tank.

Water heater? Are you going to ferment in the bathtub? Just kidding :)
Any tank that is in good condition will work fine. In fact, you could get a pretty big brew going. Hopefully your taking the tank out of the water heater shell? It would look strange if you showed your brewery/water heater to your friends. I think your on the right track. Please post the results with pics, old water heaters could be a great source for large capacity brews. In fact, do a picture blog showing each step of the way. I'm sure everyone, including me, would love to see your work.
My club, the Maltose Falcons(.com), used several old 30 gallon swimming pool filter tanks and they work fine. I think there are pics on the website.

Good Luck,

Hey!!, a fellow Falcon... :rockin:

Water heaters are not stainless, the pool filters are. Water heaters make great stills, not good breweries... :D

Again, we are talking about household heaters. You CAN drink the water from one but who would?? I don't know of anyone that uses water from a household heater for cooking or drinking and any chef would frown on it's use.

Again, you choosing to not use the water from a DHWS does not nullify the fact that it is NSF Certified as potable and safe to drink from. And, many chefs are pompous foodie EAC's and while they may be able to put togther a mean Entree does not make them authorities on Sanitation and Health, which is why they are not exempt from Health Department Inspections.

I have a 25hp boiler, there is no way you could use that for water, they are good for MT heating and boil pots only. We use "water heaters" specifically made for that purpose, not household heaters like the OP was asking about.

You can get hot water filters but we don't use them in breweries, it's easier/cheaper to filter before heating the water.Carbon filters are used to remove chlorine/chloramines, we use them prior to heating the water

Both examples of choices you have made, none exemplar of what is possible, feasible, or acceptable practice. And again, I never said, boilers in place of HLT's is standard practice. Just that it is done, and is more common than you seem to accept.

As to chlorine/chloramine, so does Sodium or Potassium Metabisulfite and is typically more effective at removal, faster, does not rely on flow and pressure rates, nor does it require periodic inspections or maintenance.

Google "cooking with hot tap water"

"The EPA recommends that you do not use water taken from the hot tap for cooking or drinking"

EPA also recommends that you don't swim in the watershed but allows boats to operate in the water you drink.

The EPA recommends you shouldn't,

NSF guarantees that you can.

I'll keep arguing with you. Those breweries that might use boilers, I bet they clean them often.

And you should too. In fact, your warranty and NSF Stamp depend on it.

I understand what you're saying to a certain point but the reality is most folks have never drained their water heaters and have no idea what the inside of them currently look like.

And those are the people that shouldn't drink from their heaters. But then, it's not the fault of the system that makes it unsafe, it's the fault of the operator not maintaning the system to a minimal standard. Which then explains why the EPA recommends you don't.

Who in here changes out there anode rod when needed and drains their Water Heater ever 6 months as suggested by the manufacturers to combat the expected corrosion and sediment build up?
But to each their own. some folks worry about water enough to use RO water. Others filter it other ways. That is the opposite end of the spectrum from using water out of your Hot Water tank.

I don't go so far to filter my water but I also don't use water from my 30 year old tank.

I do;

drain, flush, inspect the tank, and replace the annode in my water heater at minimum annually.

keep the tank heated above the normal thereshold for common bacteria.

inspect and clean fixtures on a routine basis to ensure proper operation.

I plan to;

Filter the watering entering my DCWS and DHWS in an effort to minimalize the required maintenance on ALL of my water systems to keep the systems "healthy".

The EPA doesn't monitor off flavors Gila. Not saying that it will make you sick or kill you.

Yeah, if you go through the trouble of cleaning your system regularly you have much less to worry about in terms of picking up off flavors. But that should be mentioned when suggesting that is ok to use Hot Water for consumption in general.

I wonder what the EPA has to say about cigarettes.......

And again, I never said, boilers in place of HLT's is standard practice. Just that it is done, and is more common than you seem to accept.

Final argument....

Boilers put out steam, not hot water. They cannot be used for a HLT or providing any kind of water to a brewery because they do not put out water. They can only be used for heating.... I have a big boiler, I know this.

Water heaters are used for heating water and many breweries use them, just not household heaters.

you might be able to use the burner but water heater tanks are glass lined.
I would like to see you cut that apart!

Final argument....

Boilers put out steam, not hot water. They cannot be used for a HLT or providing any kind of water to a brewery because they do not put out water. They can only be used for heating.... I have a big boiler, I know this.

Not true.

Fact: A low pressure boiler is defined as being capable of operating at a minimum 15 psi for steam and up to 160psi for water and capable of maintaining a water temperature of up to 250*F and capable of operating in a closed loop.

This is the criterium for cetification as a boiler. This is NOT the criterium for operation.

Commercial Kitchens, Hotels, and some other industries often use Certified Boilers in place of Hot Water Heaters because of the capacities. Thus, they must be installed and inspected as such.

I have the International Building Code, International Residential Code, International Mechanical Code, and International Plumbing Code that all define the differences between Hot Water Heaters and Boilers.

I don't need to own a boiler to know, I know the Internationally enforced minimal facts.

Furthermore, there are only about 4 major global manufacturers of water heating appliances that distribute under dozens, if not hundreds, of brand names. The design and operational distinctions between Residential Use and Commercial use appliances are typically only distinguished by operating pressures, BTUh, and certifications. Meaning the 50 gallon tank in my closet is only a water heater because it is not fitted with the 9 billion btuh (a joke) burner assembly and thus is not certified as a boiler.

My apologies OP. Fact discredited by opinion annoys the crap out of me.

Okay, I will concede this, it does appear that both Oregon and California are what is called a "Home Rule" state so International Code "may not" apply.

Home Rule basically means that those jurisdictions do not recognize standardized statutory regulations and can make their own **** up as they go and see fit.

Oklahoma is not a Home Rule state but Oklahoma City is a Home Rule City. However, we still "play nice" with International Code so we don't "overburden" our citizens with regulatory code. So to speak.

Wow...first time I see Gila riled up like that...:eek:

So, after reading the whole thread, I had to go back to the beginning, to remember what the original question was.
OP: as far as I know, water heaters have a concave bottom, and propane/natural gas heaters have a chimney running down the center line of the tank, from top to bottom. The tanks tend to develop rust in the union between the bottom and sidewall.
That said, if you can cut the top off, as you said (which wouldn't be that easy, as you also have to cut off the chimney), and give the tank a thorough cleanup and inspection, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use it. I wouldn't use it to boil the wort (lots of nooks and crannies to allow bacterial growth in the future), but it should be great for boiling water. Also, I would NOT take the insulation off. No matter how weird it may look, that insulation will cut your boiling times greatly.

Finally, if you won't use your tank, put it on Craigslist. If there's a biodieseler in your city, he'll probably be interested.

Back