Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > What is the best mini fridge for a fermentation chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default What is the best mini fridge for a fermentation chamber?

Right now I only need a fermentation chamber that will fit one bucket, I can expand it later if necessary,however, I am looking into a mini fridge w/temp controller. I live in Arizona and it is February, yesterdays temp was 89 degrees! my house has been in the upper 70's and I need a way to keep things cool. I am a noob to this and have just bottled my first brews almost a week ago (keeping those in my ice chest with a bottle of frozen water to keep em around 68-70 while they condition, while keeping a close eye on the temps in the coolers) Can anyone give me any suggestions on small/mini fridges that will work for this application? My home is small so space is an issue.

Last edited by Schnitzengiggle; 02-25-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
kidoduck
Recipes 

There are a few threads on this. I have heard Sanyo 4912 mentioned a lot. I have a Frigidaire 445 that barely holds a 6 gallon carboy. I mentioned this to someone in a post not too long ago, so like I said, do a search. you should find quite few threads on this question.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:58 AM   #3
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I believe Best Buy carries a 5.0 cu ft fridge that is close to what the Sanyo 4912 offered. The Sanyo has been discontinued for a while now...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 AM   #4
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Scour Craigslist for a cheap one... Heck, I found mine on a loading dock while I was at work and snagged it for free....

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

the cheapest one you can find ;-) if you can get like a 3cu foot one i am sure you could take the door inside off and fit a bucket. if that doesnt fit a little work can make it bigger. use a fan inside to circulate the air though so it will be more even in temp. dont be afraid of bending the freezer section down.

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thanks for all your information everybody, I think I may just get a chest freezer and use that as a fermentation chamber until I decide to make it a keezer, because I am definitely going the kegging route ASAP! I did find a Sanyo 4912? on craigslist here for $100, but can't invest in that if I'm gonna buy a chest freezer (which just seems to be a more logical option especially for any lagering). This forum is F***ing awesome...I Love it!!! So much info, yet so little time , Anyhow, I guess I just need to pick a freezer and wire her up, earlier I found some wiring diagrams but did not bookmark can anyone send me a link? Any thoughts on what to do if placing a chest freezer in a room with carpet??? Maybe a drip pan or something to protect the carpet? I dunno just thinking ahead, thanks again everone!

Quick Reply