Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > What began as a Keezer and turned into a Kegerator I'm learning to love.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
TBaGZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Probably should have made sure it worked before starting to work on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Stilgar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

We had actually. Tested in store, tested when we brought it home. Seemed to work fine. The garage is sort of a tortured guessing game as the original owner played handyman, he installed 5 outlets and only two work. We plugged it into an outlet next to the freezer already in there. Saw that it ran just fine, then had to unplug and move it so it wasn't blocking the door to the freezer and the car. We cleared a place after playing outlet roulette and began working on it then placed and plugged in.

I went back downstairs and using the time tested method of tapping smacking and playing with things found a glimmer of hope. I turned the freezer dial from coldest to off, then back on. Soon as I did everything came back to. I have it running now to see what happens. Not very experienced but it could very well be a problem with the therm inside. could be an issue with the defrost timer as well. Will find out for sure tuesday. But the fact it kicked back on is still a better sign than just sitting pretty.

"Wine was invented by the Romans... for orgies. And orgies are not too much fun if no-one wants to do it with you." ~Dr. Steve Brule

“The day hums sweetly when you have enough bees working for you.” ~The Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 158

At least you have a good attitude about the whole thing

Here's to hoping

Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #14
Spellman
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Fingers crossed for you, luckily if you are not too picky on color, craigslist should have a replacement pretty cheap.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #15
Stilgar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Oh no doubt!

I was kinda ticked with everything but at the same time won't do any good getting upset until we know for sure and I always try to take a mellow approach to things. If the fridge is toast meh I can get a used one somewhere and resume the project.

Kegs are carbing at 30psi in the garage, will leave it there for 2 days then drop it down. I talked to 4 appliance guys and out of them one was pretty upfront and honest about the outcome and more than willing to help out. He believes with everything I said was going on that I need a new thermostat control, and likely defrost timer/timing? All together roughly a $130 fix. He just suspects there's something else in there causing an issue as well. Given its age and what not it probably would be best served to walk away and get another? But I figure I'm already invested this much into the project so I'll see what he says after looking at it and go from there.

cheers

"Wine was invented by the Romans... for orgies. And orgies are not too much fun if no-one wants to do it with you." ~Dr. Steve Brule

“The day hums sweetly when you have enough bees working for you.” ~The Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Old 06-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yeah, I wouldn't be paying $130 for a fridge repair that I wouldn't have paid more that $75 for in the first place. That thing is OLD.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You take that chance with an old fridge. My "new" coolerator is an old Whirlpool No Frost which I picked up for $50 off of Craigslist. It has some dents but it is clean and it makes a perfect garage kegerator. However, when it kicks then I certainly won't be making any costly repair payments. I'll go back to Craigslist and find another. Luckly, all the cost of kegging equipment can be easily taken out of one fridge and put in another.

The saddest loss would be all the cool bumper stickers on the door that can be recovered.

Here's the biggest problem with any kegerator. You keep going back to that tap! How much did I drink? Who knows, I just hit that tap a few times

tap3.jpg  

I like beer

Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123 View Post
Here's the biggest problem with any kegerator. You keep going back to that tap! How much did I drink? Who knows, I just hit that tap a few times
Solution: use a new glass every time you pour one and only hand wash your beer glasses. That way you keep track of how many you've had and it cuts down on drinking too much, since hand washing beer glasses is a pain.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I picked up a mini fridge for free that my neighbor was pitching. Thermostat was dead so the compressor was either on all the time or would never kick on. Replaced it with an STC-1000 and all is good now.

I'm not sure if you could do the same with what you have, given that it's a more complicated system with a defrost timer, but it may be something to look into. A $25 fix is way better than $130.

The fridge should have a schematic on the back.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 06-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Edit: Apologies for accidental double post.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Quick Reply