Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > What began as a Keezer and turned into a Kegerator I'm learning to love.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
Stilgar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default What began as a Keezer and turned into a Kegerator I'm learning to love.

A while back I posted asking for help with a proposed keezer build. Very basic. I was falling in love with the possibilities of personal touches and essentially making it my own creation. However thanks to what I had hoped was originally an improbability drive but turned out to be my better half those plans changed and I ended up buying a very retro looking green beast from Westinghouse. I've no idea the year on this model but we'd guess it's around the mid 70's at the least. It survived a heart stopping slip and hard landing from the bed of a truck to the driveway and still powered up perfectly.

I was left between being semi let down I wouldn't be going with my grand design for a keezer, and trying to come up with a good look and unique touch for this beast of a machine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

So I began buying a few things here and there, all for fairly cheap. With the color of the fridge I thought about one of my favorite places here in Seattle, an Irish pub A Terrible beauty. So with that inspiration and a nice stout I made a trip to Home Depot and...Michaels Craft.

From Michaels I was able to pick up for $7 what I decided would make for a nice base for the taps

Also from Michaels I found a cheap wood frame ($4) which gave me an idea I saw someone here do but on a much grander scale. My plan was to take the frame and create a box top using molding from Home Depot(which came to about .99 a foot, bought close to 8 feet)

Filled with a sense of knowing half of what I was doing, where I was going and a bit more homebrew I felt pretty good at the direction this all was heading. the girlfriend decided to help here and there as well.

Spaced out and drilled the holes using I believe a 7/8ths drill press. Also no I did not drill it on the back of the El Camino.

Took a week off to help folks move into a vacation house over in Seaside Oregon, when I came back I learned the Perlicks I'd ordered to replace the taps included with my kit were currently out of stock so those will have to wait. But never the less I took my frustrations out on the fridge. Which proved much easier than initially thought.

To make sure I was actually doing something 'right' given my construction skills peaked with lincoln logs I decided to put the stained wood base up and make sure things lined up correctly which was a big fear. Being the only one home at the time I opted to use a level against the top rim of the fridge door as an even spacer above the base to keep things leveled. Apparently it did work out pretty damn spot on.

Now I am stuck at a dilemma. I still have two drip trays to put on. The box top I made will either go on the freezer door, or a foot or so under the base of the taps. The GF thinks it would look better with the top beneath the faucets and drip trays sitting above it. The top isn't big enough it could sit both drip trays evenly. If I go this route I will need something on the freezer. I'd thought about a cheap framed small mirror and making a spray on chalkboard, but I think it may look slightly out of place. I'd be open to ideas while my mind conjures a few of its own up.

I also while digging around a garage sale came up with a bottle opener .45 cents, decided to stain a small piece of wood I'll drill and fit the opener to and place maybe on the side of the fridge.

I just felt like sharing as this whole summer project grew from one grand idea and project into something I'm still fairly proud of and will find a way to add some Star Wars love to it. If I had to ask something of the forum it would be suggestions as mentioned above on the board placement and drip trays. A good adhesive perhaps to mount wood to metal. Also how easy/difficult might it be to replace the door handles? Thanks for the help in advance and hope I did alright overall. If anyone ask this is the keg setup I ordered x2, Deluxe 2 tap system from Midwest Supplies $355 (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homeb...ap-system.html)

As long as it serves cold beer and cider, I'll say it was a success.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 2120

Would love to see it, but all I see are "red X's".

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I like what you've got going so far. Much nicer looking than my kegerator; however, I'm not understanding what the box top "is" or "will do" - just decoration? This makes me wish I had done something like your tap base - I might just have to rework mine

Edit: I almost forgot. Keep in mind when opening the freezer door there's a chance of accidentally opening all taps if the tap handles are too long. I intend on using a small, metal L-bracket screwed onto the top margin of the refrigerator door so that if the freezer door gets opened it automatically opens the fridge door with it (as opposed to opening all taps and spill beer everywhere).

Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Stilgar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thank you! The box top originally was going to be used for the taps but I wanted to make sure there would be enough clearance for the tap handles. I also considered using it for the drip trays. Mounting them behind the board to hide the silver plating and leave the trays out. But obviously with the board I ended up using on the base the spacing would be too far and look a bit off. So now it'll likely just be decorative.

I'm going to head out to the hardware store soon and I contemplated picking up a wider ceder/pine board I could use across the fridge to mount the drip trays too and maybe end up using the box top as either a project on the freezer door to put a brewing label on or leave plain. Sure something will pop up soon.

If photo's aren't working may try reloading or I'll link some direct photos, sorry bout that, even on this side it sometimes won't load up less I reload the page.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
Stilgar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Talk about luck, made a trip to my lhbs, they had 4 perlicks $24 a piece, so I got that going for me Ha!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Stilgar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quick question here as I'm not sure if this falls under thee rdwhahb catagory or if I may need to take a closer look at the fridge.

As I said this is an older model fridge(still guessing mid 70's) so not finding much about it. The temp controls inside are the numbered dials 1-5, both located in the refrigerator 5 being coldest. I set the freezer to 4 and fridge to coldest around 1am on the 26th. I put a digital thermometer in the fridge and stuck the prod inside a plastic cup of water. Checked it yesturday evening and it was at 67, 6 hours later checked and reading between 66-67. I put 12 bottles of brew in the door, two kegs and the co2 are currently sitting inside.

Feeling the bottles, keg everything inside it's definitely cold just not sure how to get a more accurate temp reading unless that is correct...

As I originally intended to use a freezer I ordered a Johnsons digital A419 therm control. I still have it somewhere if that might help get this temp lower to around 35-40. I just don't know if this fridge would be able to or not given its age.

Is there a better way I can more accurately read the temp inside? Would the A419 do any good? Or should I grab a homebrew.

"Wine was invented by the Romans... for orgies. And orgies are not too much fun if no-one wants to do it with you." ~Dr. Steve Brule

“The day hums sweetly when you have enough bees working for you.” ~The Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I would definitely figure out the temperature issue there as 66-67 won't cut it

Try setting both to their coldest and see if it makes any difference. If not, try setting both to their warmest and see if it makes any difference. A temperature controller uses the fridges TOO COLD environment and cycles the condenser to keep it a little bit warmer than TOO COLD. You need to be able to achieve "TOO COLD" before a temperature controller would do any good.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Stilgar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So hey funny story, but not really.

I wake up and go check on the fridge and notice the silence in the garage. No fan or motor sounds at all! Open the freezer first and...warm, odder still was that the lip of the freezer when you touch it felt warmer. Open the fridge and...there is light but no cold. Digi temp was reading 86!

Since I shave my head like a cue ball I had no hair to grasp onto and pull out so I calmed down and called the appliance place I bought this from. Living somewhere that's not exactly in the sticks, but also just a hair from town isn't always fun. I'm just literally a tiny spec outside of their service range for them to come and take a look at it. So currently negotiating and doing my best jedi mindtrick to get them out here. Just on tricky ground as I've modified the fridge which may or may not hurt the 90 day contract, and living outside their area. So will see what happens. Hoping for the best, paying regardless lol. Should the kegs be fine left at 20psi? will move them out of the fridge just not sure if they'd be fine or if I should bump it up to 30-35.

In other news the vanilla cream ale I brewed last night is bubbling like mad so least that's something good ha!

"Wine was invented by the Romans... for orgies. And orgies are not too much fun if no-one wants to do it with you." ~Dr. Steve Brule

“The day hums sweetly when you have enough bees working for you.” ~The Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Sounds like your fridge is dead. Sorry.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Stilgar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Sounds like your fridge is dead. Sorry.
Thanks. Someones coming out to look at it tue at the earliest. Sets my plans back but never know, could be something simple or I'll start digging a hole and find a new victim for my brewing needs. We shall see.

Quick Reply