Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Weldless sightglass how to?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
bagpiperjosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Weldless sightglass how to?

i looked but didnt finda thread on it. I'd like to make my own weldless site glass for my keggles.. anyone know of a how-to and parts list? id like to buy everything at Home Depot or Lowes if i can.
If i HAVE to buy them , i'd buy from Bobby M because ive heard nothing but good things. but id rather make them myself if possible, because thats just more fun to me.

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
geniz
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiperjosh
i looked but didnt finda thread on it. I'd like to make my own weldless site glass for my keggles.. anyone know of a how-to and parts list? id like to buy everything at Home Depot or Lowes if i can.
If i HAVE to buy them , i'd buy from Bobby M because ive heard nothing but good things. but id rather make them myself if possible, because thats just more fun to me.

thanks!
You can get most of the parts from McMaster Carr. The locknut with the ridge can be gotten from any number of online suppliers. You cant piece it together from home depot.

Do yourself a favor. Order one from Bobby If you get the parts yourself, you'll probably pay more and curse more than just buying it ready to assemble from Bobby. You still have the DIY satisfaction of drilling your keg and mounting and calibrating the volumes.

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Laziness is Its Creepy Uncle

Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
StainlessBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 136

If you're going to get it out of state, just buy it from Bobby and be done with it.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 981 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's probably not too difficult to figure out the pile of parts I use to make mine but not a single piece would be found at a home center. I started with Mcmaster parts and eventually found better suppliers. I will warn you that if you do copy my design exactly that some manufacturers have longer thread lengths than others and you may be stuck using a short stack of washers to make up for that gap. If you thread the polycarbonate, be sure to do it on an angle so that the tubing doesn't jut out away from the keg at the top.

If you want to buy parts from lowes, it will be brass fittings. They don't have polycarbonate so PVC clear tubing? Eh... I'm not so sure.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

at the price Bobby sells his most excellent sight gauges, why bother building on from scratch?
I'd put the energy in to another DIY project

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 03-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You'll pay more for an equal to or lesser version.

Still wanna DIY? Maybe Bobby will sell you one unassembled ;-)

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm a big proponent of DIY projects, but I bought two sight glasses from Bobby. It will definitely cost you more in the long run.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
bagpiperjosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

that all seems like sound advice
thanks everyone!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #9
Eternalodyssey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I am all about DIY. But for the quality that you receive from the products that Bobby M provides, you just can't go wrong. I just bought two sightglass kits with T-fittings and a RIMS kit from BREWHARDWARE.COM and honestly, for the prices you're really better off going with his "proven" products. You're still within the realm of DIY but with the quality of the fittings and the pieces he is able to provide, you're not going to be able to "piece-meal" a similar setup together at Home Depot or anywhere else for that matter. Sure its a couple bucks more but the "trial, error, and guess-work" has been eliminated from the equation. That alone is worth it to me.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I made two of them using parts I already had on hand, but everything I used can be found at home depot. I used clear pex for the tube, and brass compression x NPT elbows, brass lock nuts, and SS washers and eye bolts for the rest.

If I didn't already have the parts on hand I probably would have bought from Bobby. For just a few $ more than the retail cost of my inferior parts, the BobbyM model is well worth the price IMO.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Quick Reply