Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Weldless brew stand.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #601
Dukeman9988
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaMooHudda View Post
Duke- i was actually thinking of doing 2 runs....one exaust fan and one in the opposite direction pulling in fresh air from outside to the stand. I would think that'd work, huh?]Thanks for all the help on this so far. Appreciate it.
That should work fine too. No problem, just let me know of you have any other questions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #602
ARKAY
Recipes 

that's look like std home depot angle iron, http://tinyurl.com/aemmpkq, is that correct?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #603
mxpx5678
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKAY View Post
that's look like std home depot angle iron, http://tinyurl.com/aemmpkq, is that correct?
For mine? It might be, but I got mine at Mcmaster, I bought 12 five foot long sections and cut them to length as needed.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #604
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Forgive me if this has already been stated in this thread, but I did a search on the thread and didn't find anything. Planning on making a weldless stand out of galvanized strut and my system is going to be all electirc (kal clone). Since it's going to be electirc, do I have to worry at all about the zinc toxic fumes?

Thanks.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #605
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
Forgive me if this has already been stated in this thread, but I did a search on the thread and didn't find anything. Planning on making a weldless stand out of galvanized strut and my system is going to be all electirc (kal clone). Since it's going to be electirc, do I have to worry at all about the zinc toxic fumes?

Thanks.
I dont THINK you would have to worry on an electric system. An electric rig probably won't exceed 700 degrees surface temperature, which is the melting point of zinc. Guys use wood for support on electric systems all the time and the wood doesn't even scorch.

However, I am curious about the guys using burners. In theory, you can do a burn off and then use your system, but are you sure you burned it all off? And them once it's off aren't you worried about the rig rusting? Brewing is food prep and I wouldn't want ANY rust on my rig. Is planned replacement the idea?

I am curious how it is working out for you guys who are using galvanized steel rigs as I am planning a build in the next few weeks and would like to hear real world usage experience?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #606
Dukeman9988
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post

I dont THINK you would have to worry on an electric system. An electric rig probably won't exceed 700 degrees surface temperature, which is the melting point of zinc. Guys use wood for support on electric systems all the time and the wood doesn't even scorch.

However, I am curious about the guys using burners. In theory, you can do a burn off and then use your system, but are you sure you burned it all off? And them once it's off aren't you worried about the rig rusting? Brewing is food prep and I wouldn't want ANY rust on my rig. Is planned replacement the idea?

I am curious how it is working out for you guys who are using galvanized steel rigs as I am planning a build in the next few weeks and would like to hear real world usage experience?
I sprayed mine with high temp grill paint, no rust yet and has been a little over a year.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #607
SuckaMooHudda
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

O.S.H.A. comments on zinc burning on galvanized steel. Not as bad as previously discussed.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Occupatio...ized-metal.htm

Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #608
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaMooHudda View Post
O.S.H.A. comments on zinc burning on galvanized steel. Not as bad as previously discussed.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Occupatio...ized-metal.htm
Thanks, interesting read. Zinc toxins might be one of those "boogie men" due to the fact everyone is either using their rig outside or with a ventilation hood.

However, from the pics I am seeing the zinc is flaking off, and in the interest of sanitation, I really don't want my rig having anything flaking off. And then...once the zinc is off it is basically bare metal exposed with a lot of liquid and steam around it. And in the interest of sanitation I don't want my rig rusting. You wouldn't go to a deli where the sandwiches were made on a rusty table, or the meat was cooked on a rusty grill. Brewing is basically food prep. Rust and other decay (zinc flakes) somehow migrate, and always to where you want you want it the least.

I wonder if painting over the zinc would prevent the the zinc under the paint from flaking off under high temperature. The paint would certainly stop the rust (with regular touch ups of course).

Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #609
SuckaMooHudda
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Mxpx - where did get those burner grates? I want....

Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #610
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 666 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Started working in mine this weekend. Got the frame pretty much finished, now it's time to start attaching pumps, burners, plumbing, gas line, etc.

I ended up paying to have it all shipped from McMaster Carr, since there isn't one near me. Even with $40 shipping, it was still cheaper than getting it from the local Home Depot!

image-2259044335.jpg

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.

Quick Reply