Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Weldless brew stand.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #561
BigJerk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

subscribed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #562
SanMarzano
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I went another route. Mine is for Sale

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/3307174814.html

Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #563
Bender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I am elated and embarrassed to say that 2 1/2 years after starting this thread I have finally finished my rig. In my defense I was working a job that required long hours and travel, I gutted and rebuilt my retirement home, sold my former home. I've converted the rig to natural gas and tomorrow I take it for my first retirement brew session...

brewrig.jpg  

Retired at the Jersey Shore.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #564
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congratulations!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #565
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Bender,
Congratulations on both counts. We also have a second home on a lake in the mountains of N GA and NC that may be our retirement spot. I may build a small electric brewery for there. A guy has to stay busy in retirement. But I have at least 10 more years before reaching that stage.

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #566
jscottAT4
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well,

here is my take on the weldless stand. Made a direct-fire RIMS with jaybird's 15" hinged false bottom and Bobby_M's mash tube assembly. First batch hopefully tomorrow.

jscott-weldless-stand.jpg   mash-tank.jpg  

Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #567
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I found a material generally referred to as "strut" (many brand names, including Power Strut, Unistrut, etc) that to me makes a stronger build. The gauge of steel used to make it is over twice as thick as the angle pieces used in these builds, and it's formed in a shape that is very strong. On top of that, it is much less expensive. I called the local electrical supply yesterday and they sell 10' sections of the Power Strut for $9.85. With 4 sticks you would be out the door for right around $40 and that would easily cover a 3 station single tier stand. The angle is over twice as expensive at $11 something for 6'. They make tons of brackets and fittings to connect it, and with some bolts you would also have a weldless stand. They even sell pipe brackets that link into the strut channel and could be used to easily mount a March pump pretty much anywhere on the rig. I'm cutting everything tomorrow and should have it together by the weekend. I'll post some pics of what I'm talking about. Has anyone used this material for a weldless stand?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #568
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
I found a material generally referred to as "strut" (many brand names, including Power Strut, Unistrut, etc) that to me makes a stronger build. The gauge of steel used to make it is over twice as thick as the angle pieces used in these builds, and it's formed in a shape that is very strong. On top of that, it is much less expensive. I called the local electrical supply yesterday and they sell 10' sections of the Power Strut for $9.85. With 4 sticks you would be out the door for right around $40 and that would easily cover a 3 station single tier stand. The angle is over twice as expensive at $11 something for 6'. They make tons of brackets and fittings to connect it, and with some bolts you would also have a weldless stand. They even sell pipe brackets that link into the strut channel and could be used to easily mount a March pump pretty much anywhere on the rig. I'm cutting everything tomorrow and should have it together by the weekend. I'll post some pics of what I'm talking about. Has anyone used this material for a weldless stand?
I know exactly what you're talking about. They use it to mount HVAC stuff in warehouses (like the ones at my place of employment). It's a U-channel with elongated holes in it (some that I've seen has the elongated holes). They also use it to hang fire-sprinkler pipe, etc. I've long thought about using that stuff. Good to know it's relatively inexpensive.

Edit: see, this guy used the stuff (from this thread)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...and-stand3.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #569
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post

I asked the same question recently when I saw the stand in the attached thread. I knew I had seen that stuff before and it does make a nice stand. You can also buy it at Home Depot or Lowes which is where I saw it. It is definitely less than the slotted angle. There is a nice photo of one in this thread and he even posted photos of his parts after I inquired:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show...ml#post4408618

This Google search also yielded more photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=unis...ient=firefox-a
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #570
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes, exactly. It comes in 2 main sizes, and I selected the flatter (1" flat x 1 5/8" wide) as it's still strong as heck and the taller stuff seems a bit overkill.

Quick Reply