Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Welding Single Tier Brew Stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
piperbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Welding Single Tier Brew Stand

Looking to start a single tier brew sculpture build, and had a few questions mostly around costs.

Firstly, in a design resembling a typical single tier system (i.e. MoreBeer's design), about how many hours of welding can I anticipate an experienced welder to charge me for? I emailed a guy on craigslist with a picture of a brew stand just to get a ballpark figure for TIG welding it, and he quoted $450. From what I can find in doing some research, that price seems incredibly high. So, what should I anticipate from an "hours of welding" standpoint and then from a price standpoint. Yes, I understand trading homebrew can help lower the cost, but I would rather know full dollar amount charged before starting to haggle with that.

Secondly, how much (length) steel can I anticipate purchasing? I have roughed up some numbers based on MoreBeer's dimensions, but would like to know what others have purchased as I know there will be some drop cuts and excess. About how much per foot did y'all pay for something like a 1.5" x 1.5", 11 gauge mild steel tubing?

Lastly, any advice or tips y'all may have would be helpful. Wind screen design, propane tank placement, etc. Sometime this weekend I will try to get something worked up on Google Sketch, and hopefully y'all can advise what elements may or may not work.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Travis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I built mine at a friends house who has a welding shop. I did all the cuts and finish work and about 1/3 of the welds. Initially he said he would do it for 100 bucks. I gave him 180 when all was said and done and felt that I got a screaming deal.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

I followed these plans:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/welding-101-fun-brutus-build-164749/

Old 02-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
ebeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

$450 just for the welding???? Seems way high to me.

I see you are in Texas. I don't have any personal experience, but this guy is in Texas and for the price looks hard to beat. $275 for steel, welding, and shipping?? Cha-ching.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
WTF_Brewing
Recipes 

If you specfied TIG, then $450 isn't too bad. TIG is much harder than MIG, the joints must be spotlessly clean and tight, and the machine cost three times as much as MIG. It would take most welders about 5-6 hours to TIG together a stand like this and about $30-40 in consumables (filler, tungstuns, grinder, gas, electricity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
MIG would be much faster and easier, but problably still cost you $250 dollars.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
SDMBREW
Recipes 

I built one similar material was $200, I own my own welder I used a chop saw on the 1.5X 1.5 tube, welded it up in an afternoon. Wiped it down with thinner painted it high temp black done that evening. All together after all my prep was done it took me about 3hours to weld it up clamping etc, and install the casters. You should;nt be getting charged more than 25 bucks an hour for strictly welding services. If you are your getting hosed!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
mmurray
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, if you're going to pay $450 + material costs ~$100... might as buy a stand finished and ready to go from a vendor on here. I can't remember who it is, but his stand is $550 ready to work!

Might be a good option for you! If anyone else knows the site/vendor that I'm talking of please post for this guy! I'll keep looking for you!

Cheers! and BTW, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for the welding and the metal should be no more than $100.

“God bless Homebrewing Beer. There are many things a man can do with his time. And this, is better than those things.”

Gulf Coast Brewers League

Old 02-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
mmurray
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://brewersequipment.com/New%20Brew%20Stands.html

Yep... here it is! He was in the vendor list. $550 w/ free shipping! might be a better choice for you instead of getting screwed by a local welder.

“God bless Homebrewing Beer. There are many things a man can do with his time. And this, is better than those things.”

Gulf Coast Brewers League

Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
BendBrewer
Recipes 

I don't like the way they run the gas through the steel on those. It just seems like such a stupid thing to do.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Stupid like hundreds of Brutus 10 clones? What exactly are you worried will happen?

$450 to TIG that much stainless is what I'd consider an average price around here. I've been quoted $50 to TIG two couplers in (a total of about 6" of bead).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply