The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Welding 304 stainless to a Sanke (sorry but another cheep conical idea)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
gtg644w
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Welding 304 stainless to a Sanke (sorry but another cheep conical idea)

Suppose I legally obtain a Sanke keg. Would it be possible to weld a 304 stainless steel funnel, such as the one listed at mcmaster.com, in order to make a semi-conical fermenter.

The funnel:

4359T6
Corrosion-Resistant Type 304 SS Funnel 64 oz Capacity, 8-3/8" Top OD, 9-1/2" O'all Height. (~$50--- anybody knows where it’s cheaper let me know)

Assume that I have a skilled welder. This is not so much a question about sanitary welds. If sanitation absolutely rules out this idea; however, I do want to know.

Could the funnel be welded in some configuration to the bottom of the Sanke keg in order to create a sub $200 ~15 gallon conical fermentor? (assume the top of the sanke is not an issue and the bottom have a hole just big enough in order to fit the funnel and weld) [note that I want to avoid purchasing a conical hopper, I intend to use a keg]

I’ve taken a few Fluid mechanics classes, I could figure out pressures if I need to. I am ignorant about the welding; I hope to learn some day... Would the welds hold under 10 gallons of fermenting beer?

Thanks,

David

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Might work, though you'd probably want to use a bigger funnel so it is roughly the same diameter as the keg, so you don't have a "ledge" all around that sediment will sit on. By the time you buy a funnel that big you may be inching close to the price of just buying a SS hopper and building the conical out of that alone.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
gtg644w
Recipes 

you have a good point, but this funnel holds 64 oz, and while there is a "ledge" I figure I can pivot the assembly or tap the sides periodically. I would hope that this would be enough to cause the heavier sediment to fall into the funnel.

Note the OD of ~9", a snake is ~15" leaving a ~3" edge; I assume that this edge is slightly slanted to some extent.

Also a conical hopper of 14.7 Gallon is $230 + shipping all the way from OH to me in GA. I believe I can do the project for $50 funnel, scrap sanke keg, a $25 dump valve and a modified stainless racking cane assembly for sampling.

My goal was to be cheap and to cut corners. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

David

Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
gtg644w
Recipes 

Just anouther comment, I am doing this because I want a fermenter that I can open up and spray down with a pressure washer, and avoid using a secondary.

If the welds are messy, could I not hit them with a cheap torch once in a while when I clean. Can nasties take a few seconds of intense flame?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm afraid it would just not work as well as you think. Plenty of sediment will settle on that ledge. Have you ever used a better bottle? The very slight ledges created by the bumped out rings are enough to hold sediment and those ledges are on a steep angle.

You can still cut the top out of a sanke and create a lid for it. You can still ferment in it and skip secondary as long as you don't plan on leaving the beer in there for more than 6 weeks.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply