Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Welding 101 = Brew Stand build #2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
SouthernYankee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Welding 101 = Brew Stand build #2

(Update 04/17/2011) **** Photobucket isn't working right ***** I changed photo hosting to Imageshack. So some of the photos are different then originally posted from 04/07/2011. I will post more photos within a few days.

I thought I would share another Brew stand I'm building at the moment.
For those of you that have seen the thread (topic) listed below in the link. Welcome back!
First off, I know longer own the original brew stand I built last year. About 10 months ago I sold it.
I now have found that I'm in need for another stand. With this in mind. I set out to build another stand which this time around I intend to keep.

I designed this one a little different. I'm still using 1.5 inch steel tubing.
The stand itself is longer, taller. Not as wide. A little different lay out.
I'm using different casters. Not the expanding rubber insert ones. But rather the thread/nut combo ones.
Know more diamond plate, which is being replaced with expanded steel.
Only two burners are planed for this one. I knew that I would never have the need for a third burner.
I'm going to hard plum it with copper.
All the ends are welded shut. No more plastic caps..(which melted) lesson learned.
Different burner holders/windshields.

Still a lot of welding, grinding and sanding to do.....

As stated its still in the early stages. With 2 young boys. Finding time is very limited. But here are a few photos for now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Hebby
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good luck, I just finished mine which you inspired me to make. I am having the inaugural brew session on it this Sat. I made mine taller so I can store my keggles underneath it.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
ctb6760
Recipes 

Looking forward to following this. After looking at your other build I think this one should turn out great. I'm in the planning stages of mine so I hope to get some ideas from what your doing.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
berrywise
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

subscribed!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

subscribed!!!!

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Did you grind the edges of the nuts before you welded them? I found out the hard way that they are usually zinc? coated and don't weld well if you don't. The weld won't stick well.

On the casters, if they say that they are 4 inch does that mean they raise the stand 4 inches or 2 inches? I want to order my metal but don't have the casters yet to measure them.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
SouthernYankee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer View Post
Did you grind the edges of the nuts before you welded them? I found out the hard way that they are usually zinc? coated and don't weld well if you don't. The weld won't stick well.

On the casters, if they say that they are 4 inch does that mean they raise the stand 4 inches or 2 inches? I want to order my metal but don't have the casters yet to measure them.
Nope the nuts were never ground. But after making them cherry red hot with the welder while welding them on...there not moving any. The weld didn't have any problems sticking to them.

For the casters: If you have a 4 inch caster total overall height will be 5 inches. Plus or minis 1/8 to a 1/2.
With casters you generally add an inch.

I purchased 4 stem casters off of ebay for around $16. Which is a great deal, the price included shipping. All I had to do was buy the 1/2 inch nuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INSTITUTIONAL-FA...item3a627b345e

A few more photos:

I added the center platform for the pump. Also I was making some checks were the black pipe was going to go.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I used your original design with a couple of changes to build my stand. I went 64 inches wide and used 6 legs and castors. I picked up the steel Friday night and spent about 8 hours between Saturday and Sunday welding and grinding. All I have left to do is to mount the burners the pump and paint. I wish I had ordered the parts before I started because now I have to wait for parts to come in to finish it. Thanks for the design help, it made things much easier.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
SouthernYankee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer View Post
I used your original design with a couple of changes to build my stand. I went 64 inches wide and used 6 legs and castors. I picked up the steel Friday night and spent about 8 hours between Saturday and Sunday welding and grinding. All I have left to do is to mount the burners the pump and paint. I wish I had ordered the parts before I started because now I have to wait for parts to come in to finish it. Thanks for the design help, it made things much easier.
First off, good luck in your build,

I know what you mean by not having all the parts needed. The only plumbing I have for the stand is what is shown in the photos (other then the burners, which arn't mounted yet). Its piece as you go type of project.

Again good luck and I want to see some photos!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I got into welding and grinding so much I never did take one picture. I'll have to get some of the finished product. I picked up one of those auto darkening welding helmets Saturday night, what a difference in Sundays welds. I should have bought one of those years ago.

Quick Reply