Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > welded/less mash tun fitting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
lincoln
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default welded/less mash tun fitting

Finally have some small thing worth sharing here. I have a well outfitted shop (garaged) My BK is a turkey fryer and the pot it came with has very thin walls. I didn't want to risk ruining it by trying to weld a valve fitting into it so i went with weldless. Was not terrible happy with the amount of teflon tape and messing around required to get it to seal. (actually never did get it to seal all the way, it still seeps)
Next project is the water cooler mash tun with the sst braid for a manifold. for the inside fitting i am using sst hose barb that i plan to solder the braid to. Ball valve goes on the out side with an o-ring in the middle.

My trick is to turn and then weld on a oring gland so that it can't leak bast the treads on the inside. I will still have to use tape to seal threads in the valve.

Its not in my nature to take photos of what i am doing so there are gaps

316l in the chuck

Drill and boar the clearance hole for 1/2" pipe

Missing: Cut the gland, figure out I can't part off with the jaws i have on there.
Part off.

Debur, fit, tack weld, Start welding, neighbor kids figure out i left the water wand out and are spraying everything including the dog. Oh wait WHAT?

So I still have to finish welding...

Last edited by lincoln; 04-23-2010 at 01:19 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
brewslut
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

How much for these? PM me, if you would sell them,would love to feature these on our podcast!

NJHOPZ
http://www.njhopz.com
Final Gravity Podcast
http://www.finalgravitypodcast.com

Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
Optimal
Recipes 

Did you Tap the SS you welded to the barb or is it basically just a thick washer welded to a barb?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
lincoln
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Of course I wouldn't mind selling them. But I don't know if i can make them for what people are willing to pay. 316 is especive and the job the drop came from hasn't repeated in a year. I could use 304, Its much cheaper.

What do you think people? also do you want the sst braid soldered on or just the fitting?

Its not threaded, just drilled and welded.

Quick Reply