Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Welded Keggles - In-es or out-es

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
brauhausjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Welded Keggles - In-es or out-es

This started here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/drilling-my-keggle-holes-130969/ The end of the post....page 3 as of today.

For those folks who own welded keggles, are your fittings flush or half in?

For the Half In's how does the inside of your weld/keggle look? I have a problem, even after purging, verifying that the inside of the weld is clean all the way around.

For the flush, I know it is clean all the way around and I verify my threads work inside and out. Have you had issues? If so please let me know what they are.

Here are some images of my flush welds:

and

My other web site. swampwaterbrewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No problem at all given the threads are accessible.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
brauhausjoe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
No problem at all given the threads are accessible.
just a question, do you have a preference?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i have couplers welded half-in-half-out on my keggles and prefer it that way so i have more room to wrench in the fitting on the inside. if it were a flush mount, i think i'd have a harder time getting good torque on it... but i'm sure it will work fine either way.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 AM   #5
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

I do the flush inside method, always lots of fun welding the bottom fitting on the inside. After welding and cleanup I run a 1/2" pipe tap through the couplings to remove flux and restore threads to original depth.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Mine are a half in, and one half coupler flush mounted by dumb welder who did not drill a big enough hole to keep the crud from getting stuck inside it. Cleaned it as best I could with step drill from inside.

I don't weld, but can't you inspect the bottom inside weld with a mirror?

Mine don't leak and since everything is boiled not sure how sanitary the welds have to be.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
brauhausjoe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
I do the flush inside method, always lots of fun welding the bottom fitting on the inside. After welding and cleanup I run a 1/2" pipe tap through the couplings to remove flux and restore threads to original depth.
Thats what I have been doing too. Yea that bottom weld is a pain, but I think the end product is worth it

Thanks for the input guys, please keep it coming.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Half coupling for the upper port and full coupling for the lower port, both welded flush to the inside. Upper port is for thermometer and only requires threads on the outside. The lower port requires threads on the inside for the pickup tube. I have no problem installing or removing the pickup tube, although I use a pipe union in the middle of the horizontal pickup tube pipe which makes it very easy to remove the false bottom for cleaning. I don't normally remove the pipe section attached to the drain port on the inside as it doesn't get in the way at all.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Half coupling for the upper port and full coupling for the lower port, both welded flush to the inside. Upper port is for thermometer and only requires threads on the outside. The lower port requires threads on the inside for the pickup tube. I have no problem installing or removing the pickup tube, although I use a pipe union in the middle of the horizontal pickup tube pipe which makes it very easy to remove the false bottom for cleaning. I don't normally remove the pipe section attached to the drain port on the inside as it doesn't get in the way at all.

It sure looks like the tapered part of your screen is sealing off the flow leaving you 1/2 or less that the kegs ID for a filterng area in square inches.
I've always seen the union plumbers on the job sites with me always wipe their solder joints while the solder was still hot in a liquid state with a damp rag which makes for cleaner looking professional joints, just a tip in the future. It's that clean professional look i'vs always seen the past 30 years in the electrical trades as would watch and learn from other trades like the rotary fusion Tig welding in hospitals and research labs. Glass gas lines was very intresting besides being given cut and polished scraps for short O2 sight windows to see the bubbling stone in the wort to the fermenters.Many of stainless ball valves have come my way free for the asking on big jobs besides my first hands on Tig welding instruction in and animal research lab as well the Livermore Rad Lab. Just a heads up tip not to belittle you bro or any other member.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

You are probably correct about the FB, but it works just fine regardless. Same for the sloppy sweating job. I wasn't concerned about the pickup tube being pretty. It was more important for me to be sure that it didn't leak and cause a break in the siphon. Both are doing the job as intended.

Quick Reply