Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > To weld or not to weld...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #31
lincoln
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

weld prep is critical, just like aluminum there is an oxide layer that will build up on sst. this needs to be removed for a good weld (sst is not anywhere as picky as al but its not like stick welding through paint) get your self some of thesis 7092T14 from mcmaster or your lws. mark one sst and only use it for such. sorry if this is a repeat. watch your cold starts.

link

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #32
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2wdtoyotax View Post
A fellow homebrewer has been kind enough to ship me a roll of stainless MIG wire. So I am going to pickup a few fittings and practice on some scrap. I won't mess with the real deal until I am 100% confident. To be perfectly honest.... all the negative feedback about attempting to MIG weld stainless makes me want to experiment that much more. MIG welding on mild steel is nearly idiot proof. Now I feel obligated to at least try it out. I'll take some pictures when I am done.
MIG will likely be more prone to leak since MIG welds tend to 'splatter' as opposed to the pooling you get with TIG, but I wish you luck! Anxious to see how it turns out.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #33
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

weld it.

You can weld, Hobart machines are great m welders, so weld it.
If you worry about porosity & piping in welds there are two solutions:
Take a propane torch to the suspect welds on the day you plan to start the ferment. Heat 'em to about 300F & that'll do it every time. OR use a high flow rate high silver content ( zink & lead free) solder over the welds.
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6984201
Or get a silver with the least tin you can.
Silver with Zink will melt and flow easier but Zink is not the best in a food app.

Gold would be better but it's pricey stuff for the small amoutn you'll need .

Seriously the propane torch trick is the easiest and most direct.
If you will be using threaded fittings instead of sanitary you'll be taking them apart for cleaning on every brew day anyway. Clean the threads and heat the thing up and poof you are golden. If you use sanitary trt clover fittings you'll have 'em clean and ready for the torch anyway.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #34
x2wdtoyotax
Recipes 

I received a mysterious package yesterday. A fellow homebrewer, graciously sent me a 2lb roll of 316 MIG wire, no charge. What a guy!

Hopefully I can begin the experimentation soon. I am tracking down some local plumbing supply shops and an argon tank. As soon as I find a few fittings and some gas... its game on. Pictures to follow. Thanks for all the insight.

My current brews...

MiniBrew 6.5 - Firestone Pale 31 Clone (oaked)
5 Gal Secondary - Empty

Keg 1 - Empty
Keg 2 - Empty

Bottled -
Belgian Summer Saison

Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #35
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2wdtoyotax View Post
I received a mysterious package yesterday. A fellow homebrewer, graciously sent me a 2lb roll of 316 MIG wire, no charge. What a guy!

Hopefully I can begin the experimentation soon. I am tracking down some local plumbing supply shops and an argon tank. As soon as I find a few fittings and some gas... its game on. Pictures to follow. Thanks for all the insight.
That's what I call the brotherhood of welders which there are many including those on the www.millerwelds.com forum.
Call me a cheap bastard I have split 25 pound spools of SS plus spools of alumimum 3 ways with my share as half for my time and labor with refilling the one pound spools on the lathe. The cost savings are well worth the effort and time for us.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 02-25-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:39 AM   #36
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwolf4 View Post
i refilled a 2# spool off my 11# once. what a nightmare!
It's a piece of cake with the lathe, set the speed than have a friend keep drag on the big spool mounted in the vice across the shop from the lathe on a scratch built ball bearing arbor. With a new clean leather glove i'm tracking like the factory fills. This goes rather quickly less than 2 minutes a one pound spool refill.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #37
x2wdtoyotax
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
That's what I call the brotherhood of welders which there are many including those on the www.millerwelds.com forum.
Call me a cheap bastard I have split 25 pound spools of SS plus spools of alumimum 3 ways with my share as half for my time and labor with refilling the one pound spools on the lathe. The cost savings are well worth the effort and time for us.
Cheap or not... You do what you gotta do sometimes. I don't blame you... welding wire isn't cheap. I hate doing it... but I often end up with cheap tools or cheap materials to get the job done. It is what it is.

My current brews...

MiniBrew 6.5 - Firestone Pale 31 Clone (oaked)
5 Gal Secondary - Empty

Keg 1 - Empty
Keg 2 - Empty

Bottled -
Belgian Summer Saison

Tags
all grain, hole saw, keggle, weld, weld-less

Quick Reply