Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Weekend Brutus!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If that's the cheapy harbor freight autodarkening helmet.. throw it out NOW. I've talked to serious longterm welders and they are telling me those helmets let in too much flash before they darken. you will do damage to your eyes. If you welded for only one night and your eyes hurt... that is a big indication of the quality. Go get yourself a cheapy non-auto if you can't afford a good auto. At a minimum, close your eyes till after you arc. My buddy swapped out for a good Auto helmet and he never has eye strain anymore because of this.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Goose5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a cheapy Radnor that I refuse to use. Spend some cash on the helmet. You only have two eyes.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
petrostar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've been working on it like crazy. My welds have been pretty bad for about 50% of my build. I finally dialed this sucker in and am making GREAT joint welds with penetration on both sides of the metal. I will post a pic of my progress soon.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #14
petrostar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What do you guys think about the angle joints that you've probably seen on other builds. I don't think I am going to put them in for the sake of air. it just seems the metal surrounding will get a lot hotter if I block even more of its area up. I'm talking about the top of the build btw.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
petrostar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is the top corner. I cut some leftover tube and fit it In place with the welder. Ground it down. Turned out pretty nice.

forumrunner_20120117_171902.jpg  

Old 01-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #16
petrostar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Have to wipe it down tomorrow and then throw on the casters. I have a gas pipe machine and two burners. I will make a wind shield and install that all this weekend. Hopefully be firing it up by Sunday. Will wait for warmer weather before I paint it and a little more money so I can buy my pumps and temp controllers. Scrounged up a few relays, couple transformers and three gas valves yesterday. Am going to get a couple ignition modules and Hsi's in the next month or so. The wiring parts the easy part for me. I'll keep throwing up pics for anybody interested.

forumrunner_20120119_183847.jpg   forumrunner_20120119_183905.jpg  

Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
Crimsonwine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrostar View Post
Have to wipe it down tomorrow and then throw on the casters. I have a gas pipe machine and two burners. I will make a wind shield and install that all this weekend. Hopefully be firing it up by Sunday. Will wait for warmer weather before I paint it and a little more money so I can buy my pumps and temp controllers. Scrounged up a few relays, couple transformers and three gas valves yesterday. Am going to get a couple ignition modules and Hsi's in the next month or so. The wiring parts the easy part for me. I'll keep throwing up pics for anybody interested.
For what it's worth, I painted mine with this paint. It took just under 3 cans @$8.99ea. I bought it at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

For best results you need to "cure" it. I simply ran the burners up for 5 minutes or so and then let cool.

I've brewed twice and I have no bubbling of dis-coloration at all...they also have different colors.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #18
Im_Lars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Looks good, today was a good day for inside project.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #19
petrostar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonwine

For what it's worth, I painted mine with this paint. It took just under 3 cans @$8.99ea. I bought it at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

For best results you need to "cure" it. I simply ran the burners up for 5 minutes or so and then let cool.

I've brewed twice and I have no bubbling of dis-coloration at all...they also have different colors.
Thanks for the advice, I wanted to do red or green. I have a buddy who does powder coating but his oven isn't big enough for my stand. I'll probably go your route. Did you heat the metal before painting? In between coats? Did you use primer? Thanks. Peter

Old 01-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #20
Crimsonwine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I wanted to do red or green. I have a buddy who does powder coating but his oven isn't big enough for my stand. I'll probably go your route. Did you heat the metal before painting? In between coats? Did you use primer? Thanks. Peter

It is mild steel and I just wiped it down and sprayed on the paint....no primer...and no the frame was not heated....

This was taken after the first two brew sessions....

Quick Reply