LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
causeimthesquid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Wedding Brew

Originally I wan't going to post this, but after looking at the scant amount of information out there I thought it might encourage others to do the same.

OK, so this October I am getting married and SWMBO gave me the go-ahead to brew ALL of the beer for the wedding, 160 people or so attending.

Since we decided I was going to brew, I have increased my corny collection from 5 to 11 kegs. I have a single-tap kegerator which I plan to use, but I also plan to build a tap-board of sorts by mounting picnic taps somehow (to be determined).

As for the beer, in order to try and please everyone I came up with a beer list that is pretty diverse.

As of today this is how it stands:

Coffee Oatmeal Stout 6.5% ABV
(blended with some remaining barrel-aged imperial stout and a blonde roast coffee from a local micro-roaster)

Irish Red Ale 6% ABV

Oktoberfest with Wyeast California Lager yeast, still lagering but guessing 5%ABV

Saison

That's what I have brewed, all in 5 gallon batches. Today and tomorrow I plan to brew a hop-bomb Double IPA and a Pumpkin Lager on the Cal Lager yeast cake.

Two weeks from now I will have my last brew day before the festivities. I am planning to do an American Pale Ale with homegrown hops and a German Dunkelweissen.

It will be in the fall so I am trying to brew seasonally-appropriate, keeping in mind there not everyone will be as excited for a 100 IBU, 7 variety Imperial IPA.

In the manic next few weeks I will try an keep this updated to the best of my ability.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
USAFSooner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd throw in a batch of "Cream of Three Crops" for the BMC crowd.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
causeimthesquid
Recipes 

I was thinking about scrapping the Dunkel and doing some sort of cream ale. I tasted the Oktoberfest on its way into secondary and its pretty mild, malty but not anything too out there. Was hoping that would be enough, but I probably should make a lower ABV BMC-style for the less-adventurous.

Do you happen to have a COTC recipe you'd recommend? I've never made a cream ale before. Also, I could probably get away with splitting that California Lager yeast cake but I don't know how much time that would take before serving.

I need everything carbed, in kegs, and ready to serve by Friday Oct 4th at the absolute latest.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Soup4you2
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Since it's a wedding, how about a White IPA?

Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
causeimthesquid
Recipes 

Forgot to list I also made two batches of cider. One plain and another with blackberries and raspberries (5lbs for 5 gallons).

I have two "vacant" brew slots remaining. I think I will take Sooner's advice and make some sort of cream ale instead of a dunkel. I will have homegrown cascade, chinook, and galena in a week or two and planned to do something with them. I already have an over-the-top IPA and was thinking something more in the realm of SN or Harpoon IPA hop-level. I guess I could do that as a white...

Old 08-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Mabus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

First of all, congrats on the wedding! I hope you have a wonderful life together.

I'm not sure what ABV you plan on for the ones not indicated, but I would suggest at least a couple/few fairly low ABV but flavorful options (~4% or so for the BMC crowd that isn't used to much more alcohol). Perhaps the Pumpkin Lager could be dialed back a bit if it's up there. You don't want any of your guests to have an accident or get a DUI. Six percent isn't very high but it can catch up to you quick if you've had a few in a short period of time. I imagine that DIPA/IIPA is going to have some kick! That's probably the one I'd be hitting

Again, congrats and have a wonderful wedding!

I would rather ask for forgiveness than permission

Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
USAFSooner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just search on here for Cream of Three Crops. Should be a post from Biermuncher.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
causeimthesquid
Recipes 

Update:

Yesterday I got some serious work accomplished on my "tap box". I framed out a 24x18x16 inch box with 2x3s. Then I faced off the front, sides, and top with 1/4inch plywood. The top, sides, and bottom were covered with old barnboard.

A little seat-of-the-pants engineering yielded success for mounting the taps. The top pine board was drilled out with a 1/2" bit through the plywood facing. The bottom piece of pine was notched with a biscut cutter for the little tab on the picnic tap to sit in. I routered out the back of the top pine piece so there is space for the worm clamp.

Only things left is to sand and paint the pine boards (plan on using chalkboard paint) and to mount the taps/hosing. The box did wind up being heavier than I planned so I may put some wrought iron handles on the sides.

012.jpg   013.jpg   014.jpg  

Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 43

At around 37 pints per 5 gallons 11 kegs is gonna put out around 400 pints. You think 160 people (not all of them will drink) would really drink that much beer? Quite the endeavor but you'll definitely have some leftovers. Perhaps take a keg with ya on the honeymoon!

Oh and congrats!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
causeimthesquid
Recipes 

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Also, it lets me brew a wide variety of styles, so hopefully there will be something for everyone. Plus, I was able to expand my homebrew equipment in the wedding budget.

Quick Reply