Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Web Controlled All-in-One Temp Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
physfarm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Web Controlled All-in-One Temp Controller

I purchased a board that allows me to read 8 digital temperature sensors and output 8 logic signals that will run solid state relays. The board has an ethernet port and is programmed and controlled via a web page. It can turn on and off the logic outputs based on timers, temp sensors, humidity sensor, digital inputs, and analog inputs or a combination. Currently I use it to control my keezer and also monitor fermentation temps and run a heater if needed to maintain those temps.

My plan is to mount this all up nicely in a box. Here are some things I'm considering:

1) Have several (up to 8) 110 V wall outlets all ran by the board via Solid State Relays mounted so that you can plug power cords into the outside of the box.
2) I'm currently using telephone wire for the temp senors. I'm planning on using 3.5mm headphone jacks to disconnect the sensors easily and use panel mount females in the box. (I'm successfully using one temp sensor through 30 feet of telephone cord) The temp sensors are digital and all run to the same place on the board so I can always use a 3.5mm splitter to add another temp sensor.
3) Mine is hooked up to a spare wireless router so it can connect to my network without running an ethernet cable, but one could easily use a ethernet to wireless converter and mount that in the box.

What does everyone think? I'll add some pictures and more information as I go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd be interested in seeing this, you have a link to the board?

None :(

Old 11-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
physfarm
Recipes 

Yes, here is one on ebay. I haven't seen a manufacturers page on it.

WebControl

Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
uncia
Recipes 

I also use one for my kegerator but will probably use it for ferm control once that project gets off the ground.

Here is the mfg page by the way
http://www.cainetworks.com/products/...ntrol-faq.html

Oh, and good idea with the stereo jacks. I am probably going to steel that idea for myself.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
physfarm
Recipes 

Quote:
Here is the mfg page by the way
http://www.cainetworks.com/products/...ntrol-faq.html
Thanks for that. Either thats new or I somehow missed it when I was looking before. I've been running this board for quite a while inside of a zip lock container. I really need to move on to the next stage of mounting this up in a box before I break something.

I was originally going to use a toolbox, but I'm beginning to lean towards a computer case. First, I could use the power supply for DC power. Currently I use a cell phone charger. Also, I could use fans to cool heat sink mounted SSR's.

The beauty of this thing is you can control eight different things pretty easily, but you are limited to where you can run an extension cord and phone cord (or stereo cord) from the unit. And you can monitor and control all these things remotely.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
md20_20
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by physfarm View Post
2) I'm currently using telephone wire for the temp senors. I'm planning on using 3.5mm headphone jacks to disconnect the sensors easily and use panel mount females in the box. (I'm successfully using one temp sensor through 30 feet of telephone cord) The temp sensors are digital and all run to the same place on the board so I can always use a 3.5mm splitter to add another temp sensor.
Can you elaborate on the wiring for this? Is it sufficient to have each DS18B20's pins tied to the corresponding pins of the others (i.e. in your example of using 3.5mm plug/jack connections, all the tips are common DQ, all the rings are common Vdd, all the shields are common GND)?

The warmest beer you ever drank was just cold enough.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #7
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I think I understood every third word of you original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
physfarm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by md20_20 View Post
Can you elaborate on the wiring for this? Is it sufficient to have each DS18B20's pins tied to the corresponding pins of the others (i.e. in your example of using 3.5mm plug/jack connections, all the tips are common DQ, all the rings are common Vdd, all the shields are common GND)?
Yes. They can all be common. Each sensor has its own ROM code and the board identifies what signal comes from which sensor by that. I'm planning on having multiple sensor leads. But the corresponding conductors on the jacks will be all tied to the same terminal on the board (I'll probably look at terminal rails to keep it organized).

Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
jcdillin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Watch out on using those headphone jacks as they do short out when plugged/unplugged.

We had considered the in the beginning of our project but ditched them for this reason.

Current Rig
4.5KW E-HLT
5.5KW E-Kettle
MasterFlex Peristaltic Primary Pump
March Secondary Pump
Therminator for Chilling

Planned
Automated Grain Drop
Automated Hop Dropper

System controlled via BrewTroller

Old 11-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
leboeuf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdillin View Post
Watch out on using those headphone jacks as they do short out when plugged/unplugged.

We had considered the in the beginning of our project but ditched them for this reason.
The mono jacks don't do this.

fermentation cabinet
minifridgerator

Quick Reply