Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Weak flame when both burners lit - bg14

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
kdchampion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Weak flame when both burners lit - bg14

Hey, I'm looking for some advice or experience of others to figure out if I have a problem with my brutus set-up. I'm using BG14 burners for both HLT and MT, each burner is controlled by a LOVE temperature controller, honeywell solenoid with a standing pilot, marshall low pressure regulator, and low pressure orifice valve from brewershardware.com. A few questions or concerns:

1. My flames don't seem to be incredibly strong when one burner is running. The burner is pretty quiet and the flames are only about 1" tall at most. Is this typical? I've tried drilling out the original orifices to 3/32" (i think that's the recommended size) but it didn't seem to make a difference.

2. when both my HLT and MT are running, the flames drop down to amost nothing. Am i limited by the amount of gas that can go through the regulator?

I haven't done any testing to see how long it takes to boil a full 10 gallon batch, so maybe I'm just worrying and it's a kick butt system, but it just doesn't feel like there's power there.

Thanks for the insight and experiences you can provide!

Brent

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
cranium213
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have a lot of experience with the valves and pilot system you're running, but on my stand I have 3 burners fed from a trunk (built into the stand) and I have a 15PSI regulator coming straight off the propane bottle and can power all 3 burners just fine (2 BG12's and a BG14). I would suspect that if you're using a low pressure regulator (as you mentioned) you're not feeding enough pressure to power both of the BG14's. Is your regulator a standard 10 PSI, and if so I'd probably go get yourself a 30 PSI regulator to ensure you've got enough pressure for both of those burners?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 976 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The BG14 is a high pressure burner isn't it? I assume you're running low pressure for the gas valves but maybe it's too low.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
jerdes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What you need to look at is gas volume. Regulators generally have a BTU rating which will make it easy to judge if you are getting enough gas volume for your burners. The regulator must have a BTU rating equal to all of the burners that will be running simultaneously down steam.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
jerdes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bobby_M is correct, that is a high pressure burner, so the low pressure is probably the biggest problem. Volume as i stated above will only help keep the same flame with both burners running, if one is already too low you need higher pressure..... Which won't work with the rest of your setup. Might need to look at different burners that will work on low pressure.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
kdchampion
Recipes 

So, any immediate suggestions for burners? I thought I saw many instances of people using these burners with a low pressure propane system simply by changing out the "jet" orifice for a larger size to do exactly what you mentioned, deliver more fuel, but i guess I'd like the system to work, so researching other options could be beneficial.

Thanks for the input too!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
jerdes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Unfortunately my main experience is with high pressure burners and in particular forge burners for black smith work. the over size orifices should help get that burner working with the lower pressure..... I would look at you regulator(s) for volume ratings before replacing burners. I have a feeling the regulator is the choke point here.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If nobody has direct experience with your combo, you have to get into debug mode. Try incrementally connecting the burner closer (more directly) to the LP tank. First remove the solenoid valve, then try connecting to a standard BBQ reg, then directly to the tank using the valve on the tank to gradually increase the flame.
If none of those start producing a jaw dropping flame (which these burners are capable of), it could be that tank (or tank valve) itself. There is an anti-freeflow mechanism in the valve that can get stuck. It is usually just a small ball bearing that free floats and plugs a hole when there is too much flow. This type of device can also be in the hose or reg as well- lawyer proofing them I guess.

It could be the combo "orifice valve" as well, but since none of your burners work, they would all have to be defective, which is not likely.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdchampion View Post
honeywell solenoid with a standing pilot, marshall low pressure regulator
Brent
Like others have suggested, you need to check flows. I have only briefly looked at some attempts to automate gas burneres, but several were having trouble because they were attempting to use solenoids that were not capable of handling the flow required for high BTU burners. I also remember cases where they had high/low pressure mismatched parts. A 200k btu at xx psi valve will not flow 200k at lower pressures, and may not work at all if it is a diaphram actuated valve.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
kdchampion
Recipes 

Thanks for the help! I'll definitely look into the different flows and pressures. At one point in time, I didn't have the low pressure (0.5psi) marshal regulator and the burners were pretty spectacular. So, I know the burners work.

I'm also building a home climbing wall, so this project is kind of on the back burner, but I still think about it and get to mess around with it every once in a while, so thus the questions but not much trouble shooting.

Life's too short to not have too many hobbies!

Quick Reply