Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > weak flame on my bg14

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
wncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default weak flame on my bg14

So I got my gas manifold finished and fired it up to check for leaks. No leaks but the flame is very weak. These are low pressure bg14's plumbed through a marshall 230 regulator into 1/2 black iron, with flex tubing running to the burners. Orifices are the lp ones from brewers hardware. The flame is only about 1/4" high when I open the valve wide open. Suggestions???? I know im not gonna get the kind of flame I'm used to with high pressure burners, but it has to be better than this

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Also forgot to mention that I included the "overflow preventors" that came with the flex tubing, I'm thinking that my first attempt will be to try it without them and see if that makes any difference. I have watched some youtube videos, and my flame is certainly not what it should be

Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
bellam87
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My only guess would be a faulty regulator...I have a manifold setup and connect my 30 psi regulator to the tank and then adjust the flame with using needle valves at each burner.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellam87
My only guess would be a faulty regulator...I have a manifold setup and connect my 30 psi regulator to the tank and then adjust the flame with using needle valves at each burner.
That was my first thought, but the regulator came off of a hundred pound bottle that I previously ran a heater with. It was working fine then. It is single stage though. Wondering if I need a dual stage reg. Also this is low pressure...11" w.c.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Docgineer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

First shot I'd get rid of that "overflow preventer." If its a flex hose for appliances it's possible its choking down your flow as most home appliances don't need as much gas as a 14" banjo does.

Assuming the regulator is working it has 140k BTU capacity. Are you running all 3 with poor results at the same time but running one burner works just fine? If all three were open you would be getting about 47k to each one.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgineer
First shot I'd get rid of that "overflow preventer." If its a flex hose for appliances it's possible its choking down your flow as most home appliances don't need as much gas as a 14" banjo does.

Assuming the regulator is working it has 140k BTU capacity. Are you running all 3 with poor results at the same time but running one burner works just fine? If all three were open you would be getting about 47k to each one.
This is just running one burner, the other is plumbed through a gas valve which I don't have wired yet and therefore haven't fired. It is a two burner herms rig or will be when I get it done. I will try getting rid of the overflow preventer and seeing if that works and will report back, if that doesn't fix it it almost has to be the reg

Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgineer View Post

YEP!

Full flame height at 11" W.C. using the proper orifice should be 1" - 1.5" You don't need a 2 - stage regulator. A simple barbecue low pressure regulator will work just fine.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHoppyGuy

YEP!

Full flame height at 11" W.C. using the proper orifice should be 1" - 1.5" You don't need a 2 - stage regulator. A simple barbecue low pressure regulator will work just fine.
Hoppy, is that "yep" in agreement that I should toss the "overflow preventers" in the trash?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

yes, toss the limiters

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks, if that doesn't work I will move on to the regulator

Quick Reply