Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Water Volume Measuring Stick/Rod

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
bytemyfoot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

So, now that we've gotten with sightglasses, anyone else have any non-sightglass tips or suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #22
skipper1953
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How about a string with knots tied in it? A length of braided nylon mason's cord would work nicely. Or how about a piece of stainless steel brake cable you swipe from your neighbor kid's bicycle? It is quite thin and flexible. That will teach him not to ride across your lawn. You could tie a stainless steel nut on the end of it. You'd be able to sanitize it easily enough by just dunking it in a beer glass full if Star San if you felt the need to sanitize it. You could keep it in your pocket so you would always have it close at hand.

I, too, could go on but I won't. The Packer game is starting to get interesting. I think marking your spoon handle is the best suggestion.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #23
buck57
Recipes 

I have different kettles with various diameters. To keep things simple I use one stainless steel ruler and have a chart with volume per half inch in columns for each vessel. Stand the ruler in the tank and read off the chart for the volume in gallons

Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #24
LuiInIdaho

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck57
I have different kettles with various diameters. To keep things simple I use one stainless steel ruler and have a chart with volume per half inch in columns for each vessel. Stand the ruler in the tank and read off the chart for the volume in gallons
This is the most universal solution I have heard yet. It varies with diameter but once that is known you know where you stand.

Quick Reply