Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/)
-   -   Water Volume Measuring Stick/Rod (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-volume-measuring-stick-rod-365149/)

bytemyfoot 11-03-2012 12:51 AM

Water Volume Measuring Stick/Rod
I do 5 gallon BIAB. I'm looking for a way to measure the volume in my pot at any given time. For example, I'd want to measure my water volume before heating, but also during the boil. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that someone was using what appeared to be rod stock (maybe stainless?) with gallon markings chamfered into it, specific to their pot. I have pretty much no metalworking experience, so I'm wondering how difficult something like this would be to pull off.

I have also read of people just using a metal meter stick and knowing what measure corresponded to what volume. I'm sure this would be a lot easier, but I thought it would be cool to have a customized measure. Let me know what you think!

PS - Not interested in using a sightglass

LuiInIdaho 11-03-2012 01:09 AM

You could also accomplish the same thing by using a wooden dowel. This is great for everything prior to the boil, but may not meet your needs post boil. A similar option is to purchase a plastic mash paddle from your LHBS. These are inexepensive, would stand up to the heat, and you could make your markings on the handle. It could be used preboil and post boil.
I hope that this helps.


bytemyfoot 11-03-2012 01:12 AM

I've taken most of the plastic out of my brewing and am trying to keep it that way. As for the wood, I think that would work since I believe people use wood paddles all the time (not sure if during boil though...) but I was hoping to use stainless for this for durability's sake.

crosamich 11-03-2012 01:25 AM

Stainless flat stock isn't too expensive and can be found at big box stores but you can definitely get away with a (cheaper) metal yard stick. No metalwork experience required really. There are etchers that can be had for cheap as well but you could just as easily make your marks with any number of improvised tools-screwdriver scratching or other blade/edge or hacksaw. One of those things that you can do cheap and easily if you want or make it a bit more complicated.

krazydave 11-03-2012 01:32 AM

I used to use a plastic spoon that I made marks on with a pipe cutter.
I finally just broke down and bought a sight glass for my BK from Bobby_M, should've done that LONG ago!

jlachesk 11-03-2012 01:33 AM

I use a Bayou Classic wooden stir/paddle with notches at the gallon marks (calibrated with room temperature water added a gallon at a time) to accomplish this. It's accurate enough for my needs, and I use the paddle through mash and boil (time will tell how it holds up I suppose). I think the paddle cost me ~ $15. Prior to that I used a length of CPVC with lines marked with a Sharpie (maybe not the best idea, but it worked).

Easily_Distracted 11-03-2012 01:34 AM

After reading this I'm thinking of taking my dremel and putting a little score mark on my stainless stirring spoon at gallon increments. I could just add one gallon, mark the spoon. Add another gallon, mark the spoon.
I like the idea of using stainless or plastic after cooling the wort although others with more experience may say wood is fine.

mrmcdowe 11-03-2012 01:35 AM

I use 1/2 copper pipe. I marked it with circles from lightly using a tubing cutter on it. I also use to measure water in HLT.

aubiecat 11-03-2012 01:46 AM

Before I built my current rig I used a wooden dowel with notches marking every gallon.

Adacarda 11-03-2012 01:42 PM

I use a wooden yard stick, just so happens that my pots work out to 1/2"/quart. Makes volume measurements easy!

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.