Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Water saving wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Thekeez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water saving wort chiller

I have a bunch of guys that I brew with, usually 3 or 4 batches at one time. We all just converted to all-grain! It has been a smooth transition but we use a ton of water cooling down that many batches with my wort chiller. Has anyone ever used a pump to sort of circulate the water to cool wort? Maybe fill a utility sink with ice water and use a pump to feed the water through the wort chiller and drain it back into the ice bath to cool the water back down. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Currently using a plate chiller, but I'm considering switching to an immersion chiller. When I do I'm planning on doing exactly that. Big bucket of ice water to pump to chiller back to bucket.

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I tried doing that over the winter using snow to cool the water down. Didn't work too well. I did use less water, but it took a lot longer since the water coming out was heating up the cooling water. Had to change the water a few times and add a ton of snow.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Paul07293
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

should work but the ice is gonna melt fast when the hot water comes back from the chiller. My buddy pumps water from his swimming pool through the chiller. Warms up the pool at the same time! I run the input water really slow and just collect the warm water for cleanup later.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Yeahman99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This is how I do all of my chilling. Works great for me. I use old plastic tubs (butter, cottage cheese, etc.) of frozen water in one of my spare ale pales with the pump in it. I also sit my kettle in an ice bath. Works like a champ!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
CrazedArmadillo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about running the heated water exiting the chiller into your mashtun for the next batch? That way you can reuse the water, plus it's preheated and you'll save on fuel needed to heat the water.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedArmadillo View Post
What about running the heated water exiting the chiller into your mashtun for the next batch? That way you can reuse the water, plus it's preheated and you'll save on fuel needed to heat the water.

This is what I'd recommend.

I haven't used my new setup yet, but am planning on capturing my "waste" cooling water for my clean in place process. I have a CFC made with a vulcanized rubber hose, so I wouldn't use the water to rbew with. But cleaning with hot water will be awesome.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Whatever you do, do not make the mistake of thinking that saving water is necessarily saving money. If you use the heat capacity of ice to reduce water consumption, you have to figure out what it costs to get the ice. If you buy it from a store, it's easy to figure out. If you make it in your freezer, the electricity used is harder to figure out but it's certainly not free.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
horseinmay Likes This 
Old 06-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I dump or 'waste' the first 5 gallons or so when the output water is extremely hot. This gets used as cleaning water, added to the washing machine, or let sit to cool down to be used to water the garden. Once the wort is down to 110-120ish I switch to a bucket of ice water and recirculate the water with a pump. By time I hit pitching temps, I am almost out of ice. This water is used in my swamp cooler as it is usually around 50-60 deg. I adjust with makeup water if it is too low or frozen 2-liter bottles if too high.

Although now that my pool is open I need to refine my process. Its much easier for me to just pump from/to the pool till I get to 110, then go to the ice bucket.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
archiefl98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My water costs $4.05 per every thousand gallons. I would think a hundred gallons per chill would be a nice high estimate. That's 40.5 cents worth of water. Even if I double it I still haven't purchased a bag of ice yet.

Hook up the lawn sprinkler to the output hose and I'm actually getting some extra use out of my water.

Fermenting: A few beers

Conditioning: A few other beers
Bottled: A few more beers
Kegged: Many beers
Next Brews: More beers than you could imagine
Brewcrew02 Likes This 

Quick Reply