Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Water Filter Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Default Water Filter Setup

After reading a few threads on water filters, and wanting to get the chloromines out of my water, I decided to assemble one that I could easily set up and move around for different tasks. Since I was able to get everything I needed for this setup from one place (Lowe's), I thought I would post the project with pics, part numbers and prices.

From left to right:

Manufacturer--------------------Part#----------------Price

Gilmore water shutoff------------AS1FFMGF----------------$6.98
Watts swivel hose adapter----------A662-------------------$4.96
Gilmore 2 piece QD----------------09QCGF-----------------$5.88
Watts tapped hose adapter---------A665-------------------$3.82
Whirlpool House Filter-----------WHCF-DWH---------------$20.57
Whirlpool Filter .5 micron-------WHCF-DB1----------------$14.68
Lasco 3/4" male pvc adapter----------------------------------$.27
Lasco 3/4" 90˚ pvc elbow--------------------------------------$.28
Length of 3/4" pvc remant pipe-------------------------------$.50

There are many combinations of ways to connect the supply hose to the filter. I went with this setup because I wanted to have a shutoff right at the filter and be able to quickly disconnect the supply hose from the filter for use in other tasks.

I chose this filter housing because it was relatively inexpensive and has 3/4" stainless steel threaded inserts to install the fittings into. This has the benefit of eliminating the risk of cracking the filter housing if the fittings are screwed in too tight.

The Lowe's I went to didn't have cpcv so I went with standard pvc. As this is a cold water only setup cpvc was not nesssesary. I didn't glue the joints, they are just press fit and very tight, but I don't hang the until from it anyway, I just hold it while filling. I saw in a previous thread that someone had made up some bent pieces of aluminum stock and screwed them to the filter housing. This allowed them to hang the unit onto whatever they were filling without having to hold it. I think I will look into doing that as well.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Default Continued

This .5 micron carbon filter is probably overkill. They also had a 2 micron carbon filter that was cheaper, but I went with this one. Any 10" cartridge will work with this housing.

And here is the finished assembly. It chimes in at a total of $58 + tax. I also chose to go with a 25' length of 1/2", FDA approved, food grade Marine/RV hose. It added another $12 to the total. It's probably not necessary because the filter would remove any garden hose odors, but I figured, what the heck. I hope this helps make it easier for someone to quickly gather up the stuff they need to assemble something like this. We all know how frustrating it can be to stare at the wall of fittings trying to find what we need.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
johnsma22

Recipes 

Yes, it was yours that inspired me to go and assemble my own. I couldn't remember who it was that posted it, but I credited you in my post, in that I really liked the idea of the aluminum flat stock used as a hanger. I will be doing that.

The only think I wanted to change about your design was the barbed fittings and short piece of tubing with the hose clamps. Like I said in my post, there are many different combinations of fittings that can be used to connect the water supply to the filter housing. After staring at the fitting wall in Lowe's for awhile I found the fittings I needed to make a hard connection without the use of any soft tubing.

I do thank you for giving me the idea!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Filter looks great, but I have one concern. You mention that you want to filter our Chloramines and I'm pretty sure these carbon filters won't do that for you. Chorline for sure, but not chloramines. That's what I've heard, but I hear wrong things all the time.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Pretty sure they can. Looked up chlormine filters and they list the same ones for chlorine as they do for chloromine.

EDIT: Correction. You need a catalytic carbon filter to break the chlorine/ammonia bond. But this leaves the ammonia free from what I hear:

Quote:
In addition to the effectiveness concerns regarding the removal of chlorine, is the issue of chloramine. Very few carbon filters can remove chloramine. The chlorine-ammonia bond prevents standard carbon from removing the chlorine. Some new carbon filter units are now using a special "Catalytic" Activated Carbon. This catalytic carbon can break the chlorine-ammonia bond, and absorb the chlorine. BUT! They leave the ammonia free, which we've already said is a bad thing. I've seen one tap-water filter that added a special ammonia absorbing compound (zeolite) in addition to the carbon. But zeolite has a fairly small ammonia absorbing capacity so it needs frequent replacement, and it isn't found in any common tap-water filters. Without the additional ammonia absorbing compounds, you must use some other treatment to remove the ammonia.
http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/ch...er-filters.asp

Are you sure your water dept uses chloramine?

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 05-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Nice work all.

The design freak in me wants to elbow between the hose shut off and the swivel adapter.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
seawort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love threads like this where people actually list their parts and possible design variations.
Thanks much.

"I drank what?"
denny's rye IPA on tap
Nothing In the primary

Old 12-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #8
KeithLovesBeer

Recipes 

Default warning about chloramines in Wash. DC

this warning and how to work around chloramines is in a Washington DC Water and Sewage Authority publication:

... primary disinfection using free
chlorine, secondary disinfection
with chloramines through the
addition of ammonia, and
corrosion control with
orthophosphate.
Chloramines are a federally
approved alternative to free
chlorine. Chloramines must be
removed from water used for
kidney dialysis or aquariums.
Please contact your physician or
kidney dialysis center for the
appropriate water treatment
process. Contact your local
pet store for the appropriate water
treatment for fish tanks.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
adx

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

There are a lot of different ways to remove Chloramine. The ones I have seen before are Vitamin C and using metabusulfite. If you used one of those methods before the filter, then the charcoal would be able to remove the Chlorine ions.

Panky Likes This 
Old 12-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

very nice filter setups. I hadn't pictured such filters being used so simply as a hose attachment.

Are chloromines known to negatively affect beer quality or the fermentation process? Wikipedia didn't provide much insight on the subject, but I was just wondering why it's important to remove them.

Quick Reply