Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Water Fermentation Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #81
dantodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGoku View Post
I think Dan is only looking at the lagering aspect, were as these contraptions are designed to not only lager but to ferment at ale temps and inbetween. If you are only looking at maintaining the lowest lagering temps as possible then yes, keeping your carboy in an ice bath might work but it would be less controlled especially if you had a ice salt water bath since you could potentially bring the bath to freezing temperatures (maybe?).
Exactly. If you look at the post I replied to you will notice that he was asking about lagering not about fermentation temperature management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecruitNBrew
I put one of those fabric box shaped coolers over the top of my water cooler to provide additional insulation.

Any ideas on how to push it down to the mid to hi 30's?
I'd like to lager below 40 if possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #82
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Tip: Before bottling or siphoning to secondary push the water inflow tube to the bottom and turn the pump on then off. This will siphon the water off back into the water cooler.

I don't know why I haven't thought of this before. I've had a few floaters when I forgot to get the water out of the fermentation chiller.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #83
shek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of doing something like this but do to space constraints want to set both vessels on the same surface. Is there any reason why I couldn't use a siphon hose for the warm water return to the cold water tank? Thinking of just getting a tube going in through the top of both containers, as long as both ends of the tube are submerged shouldn't the water drain out of the fermentation chiller as the cold water is pumped from the cold tank keeping the levels roughly equal (depending on the height of the siphon hose)?
Edit/Update: So I rigged up two coolers sitting next to each other on an island in my kitchen. My ferm vessel is a plastic bucket sitting in a large square cooler filled with water. The chilling water is in a 5 gallon water cooler. I have a small aquarium pump moving the chilled water to the cooler to chill the fermenter with a wide piece of vinyl hose setup to siphon warm water back to the water cooler to keep the water level almost even. So far so good. I don't have a temp controller yet though, so I've got the pump hooked up to a timer, we'll see how well that works and if I can adjust the timer to maintain good temps, might be buying a temp controller for my next batch.

Last edited by shek; 09-21-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #84
kerklein2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I picked up a 10 gallon Igloo brand and it DOES NOT fit a 6.5 gallon carboy. The carboy will fit in it, but there is no room for the drain. I am searching for a rubbermaid brand one, but they are hard to find.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:16 AM   #85
Kass_Brauhaus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure who actually manufactures it, but the Igloo-type cooler from Home Depot (stamped with the Home Depot Brand) does fit a large carboy. I found mine in the garden section, actually outside. Those drains are also removable, so yours may not be a lost cause (unless your brewing partner drills a random hole in the bottom to make it a hot liquor tank but realizes that the heating elements get really really hot and shouldn't be in contact with plastic...but I digress).

-------------------------
Andy Kass
Braukursteilnehmer des Kass Brauhauses
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed...America/Denver

Old 10-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #86
kerklein2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

This is the one I picked up that does not fit my carboy.

This is the one I just ordered that I hope fits.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #87
kerklein2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I just picked up the larger Rubbermaid cooler today and it does, in fact, fit my 6.5 gallon carboy. Unfortunately, I see no way for any fittings to fit inside. Guys that are doing this...are none of you using 6.5 gallon carboys?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #88
JonGoku
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerklein2 View Post
I just picked up the larger Rubbermaid cooler today and it does, in fact, fit my 6.5 gallon carboy. Unfortunately, I see no way for any fittings to fit inside. Guys that are doing this...are none of you using 6.5 gallon carboys?
What is the OD of your carboy? They do come in different sizes even for the same capacity.

Jon

Old 10-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #89
kerklein2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Tough to measure, but estimated at right over 12". Maybe 12.25".

Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #90
RecruitNBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With my fittings, the 5 gallon carboy barely fits. I think it would be tough to use a 6.5er. Have you looked into those Ice Cube coolers?
Something like this might work:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ci_sku=5663765

Quick Reply