Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Washers for Bulkhead Assembly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
KingKegII
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Washers for Bulkhead Assembly

I'm putting together my 2-tier brew rig and wanted to upgrade my valves and tubing to 1/2". I looked at several of the online cooler bulkhead fittings and wasn't sure how well they'd work with my 10g Rubbermaid coolers, which have walls at the spigot area that are very thin. Also, if something broke it'd be nice to have the option to just run up to the local HD or hardware store and get a replacement. Anyways, after purchasing the parts I realized I can't find SS fender washers at any place in town that will fit around a 1/2" pipe nipple; the OD of the nipple is ~13/16". I also searched online but didn't find anything other than custom order, which needs to be ordered in bulk.

Can I just drill out some of the SS washers I already have using a step bit? Or maybe there's something else I can use that will be stiff enough to seal the o-ring to the inside of the cooler wall, plastic gaskets with a metal spacer or nut or something? Anyplace online you know of to order something that would work? Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3064 Times on 1927 Posts
Likes Given: 2602

http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop2.html

BTW, that large silicone rubber washer on that page has come in mighty useful. It also fits around your 1/2" nipple. Get a couple... I bet you thank me sometime.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Fastenal has SS washers. Mail order or store. Here's the link to the 5/8 ss washers.

Product Details | 5/8" x 1 3/4" 18-8 Stainless Steel Flat Washer | Fastenal

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I ordered mine from Austin Home Brew after searching around locally. They fit over a 1/2 inch ball valve or nipple. I ordered a few just in case I need to fill more depth on my bulkhead.

Quick Reply