Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Wanting to start AG single tier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
The Mad Hatter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wanting to start AG single tier

Hello everyone! I am wanting to start an AG single tier system for my dad and I. I plan on running a three burner system off of propane. I have purchased three kegs already. I plan to use one for the HLT, one for the MLT, and one for the boil kettle.

I have a few questions. For starters, is it manditory to use the stainless steel ball valves, or can you use brass? How large of a propane burner do you need? And can this system be run off a single pump? I plan on using weldless bulkhead fittings for the valves, sight tubes, and the thermometers. I have a welder at home, so welding the cart together will be simple. Check out my print and see if I am on the correct track.

Thanks I appreciate it!
TMH

T.M.H.

My slow single tier build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

There's no reason it can't be done with a single pump. Brass valves work just fine, pickle them if you are concerned about the lead.

I use a standard turkey fryer for my HLT but put an adjustable 30 PSI regulator in place of the stock 10 PSI reg that came with it.

I use a Banjo burner to bring my 12 gal. of wort to a boil.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
The Mad Hatter
Recipes 

Default How many burners?

Do you run three burners then? Or do you go with two and use a HERMS system? I would like to go with just the three burners to keep it simple. How doe the plumbing look that I have in the fancy drawing? I would think it is OK, but the possibility of schoring my grain bothers me a bit.

TMH

T.M.H.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts

I have a nearly identical setup -- and love it! Here's a thread on the build, and another thread with pics of it in use. I use 3 standard high pressure burners with a 0-30 psi reg. They provide more than enough heat. I got the orifices here. They allow you to hard plumb the burners. I direct-fire + recirculate the mash and use a single pump just like your sketch. If you get a good recirculation with low heat you won't scorch the wort/grain. I also use brass QDs from mcmaster. See this thread for details.

Cheers.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
The Mad Hatter
Recipes 

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
I have a nearly identical setup -- and love it! Here's a thread on the build, and another thread with pics of it in use. I use 3 standard high pressure burners with a 0-30 psi reg. They provide more than enough heat. I got the orifices here. They allow you to hard plumb the burners. I direct-fire + recirculate the mash and use a single pump just like your sketch. If you get a good recirculation with low heat you won't scorch the wort/grain. I also use brass QDs from mcmaster. See this thread for details.

Cheers.
Sweet, thank man!

TMH

T.M.H.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
The Mad Hatter
Recipes 

Default Score!

I got my three kegs yesterday! I will now begin to cut the tops out of them. I am thinking though that I will make a cut about four inches long or so in four different places in top, then I will TIG some SS washers to the TOP so they will be a make shift stopper so that I can use the scrap piece as a lid. This should be a very intresting project. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

TMH

T.M.H.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
I got my three kegs yesterday! I will now begin to cut the tops out of them. I am thinking though that I will make a cut about four inches long or so in four different places in top, then I will TIG some SS washers to the TOP so they will be a make shift stopper so that I can use the scrap piece as a lid. This should be a very intresting project. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

TMH
I think several people have done exactly that. I wish I had saved mine. Oh well.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm glad I held onto mine. I'm gonna take them to a welder and get the some custom work done hopefully.

I think I'll get the coupler removed and welded to a Soda keg like a bunch of other one I've got.

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
...Brass valves work just fine, pickle them if you are concerned about the lead.
What does that mean?

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 10-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Soak in a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar for a few minutes and then rinse. It will remove the surface lead from the brass.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply