The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Vetting homemade trub filter design

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Vetting homemade trub filter design

Having a bunch of trouble with the plate chiller, so i'm looking into building a trub filter. A hop spider did wonders, but cleaning out the chiller is still a bear since it doesn't do anything for the break material.

My initial sketch is for a 3x9" 316 stainless pipe capped with reducers, plugged with hex bushings, and then terminated with camlocks at both ends. The plan is to stuff it with stainless scrubbing pads.

The gotcha here is that this approach isn't cheap - rough estimate on a 3x9 setup is $230 (before shipping). The brewer's hardware rig with additional fittings is $180, and has the added benefit of being tri-clamp.

Questions for you -
- Is a 3x9" filter housing big enough, or am i going to get clogged?
- Any experience with the brewers hardware filter (e.g. how well does it work, how durable is it)?
- Am i missing something really simple here - e.g. building out a whirlpool setup and pulling from the sides of the keg?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try whirlpooling, even with a good stir and 20 minute rest. Pull from the side. Almost all of the break will be left behind.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 09-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
ClaudiusB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewguyver View Post
Having a bunch of trouble with the plate chiller, so i'm looking into building a trub filter.

The gotcha here is that this approach isn't cheap - rough estimate on a 3x9 setup is $230 (before shipping). The brewer's hardware rig with additional fittings is $180, and has the added benefit of being tri-clamp.
Forget the homemade approach for the amount of money you are willing to spend. A commercial version is available from $350-$600 depending on filter length.
Search for in-line strainers, at St. Patrick's of Texas $395.

I have one attached to my cleaning return tank.

I use a cartridge filter with my set-up.
SS wire mesh baskets are available.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Quick Reply