Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Very Custom Kegerator Idea....??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 43

You could get an electric linear actuator to not only open, but hold open... would be pretty slick to flip a switch and have your keezer open. You would then have to add the space-door sound effect and a jet of steam or dry ice to complete the effect.

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Oktoberfest
On Deck: Pecan Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
YankeesHomeBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
You could get an electric linear actuator to not only open, but hold open... would be pretty slick to flip a switch and have your keezer open. You would then have to add the space-door sound effect and a jet of steam or dry ice to complete the effect.

LOL that is one hell of an idea... but I'll probably just keep it simple with the shocks. They will be to just as extra support with the hinges to hold it open, not to actually open it.

I just thought about a problem last night though... With the barrel on it's stand (I'm looking at www.oakbarrelsltd.com) I don't think I will be able to fit a pint glass, or a 24oz glass for that matter, under the tap! What to do??

I thought about putting the tap at the top of the barrel instead of the bottom, but that may look goofy with a 12" tap handle sticking up past the barrel... Also thought about having the barrels at the edge of the "counter top" and build a small shelf with a drip tray below it, but I don't know if I like the idea of a drip tray sticking out from the edge

Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If you're going for a rustic kind of look where the barrels just 'happen' to be sitting there and, woudln't you know it, they pour beer!... Maybe make some old-timey looking shipping crate boxes along these lines and set your barrels on top. Make the boxes different heights if you wanted and mix it up some to creat a cool visual effect. Hell, do it right and the boxes could actually contain drawers that you could store glasses or other important bar items in...

Or, cut a trough in the lid of your keezer to act as a drip tray but also allow you to get the glass lower...

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Oktoberfest
On Deck: Pecan Ale

Last edited by BadNewsBrewery; 12-21-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Added idea for drawers / typo

Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
purplehaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default box

I like the box idea but only use one and stack the barrels on top of one another like a pyramid.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
YankeesHomeBrew
Recipes 

I guess I forgot to mention my height situation... I have very low ceilings in my basement, and above where the kegerator is going, I am putting a TV... I cannot raise the barrels up any higher.

So I came up with a new plan!!
I am going to build 2 wooden pillars similar the the picture at the bottom. 2 taps on each. The pillars will look like they are supporting a shelf that the cable box and dvd player will be sitting on, but they will be only for looks. That way I can slide the kegerator out and open the lid. The backside of the pillars will be a removable panel so that I have access to all the lines and shanks.

I think they will look even better than the barrels, as they will flow with the rest of the man cave. I have 2 support beams down there that I plan on boxing in and making similar pillars around anyway.

wood-pillar.jpg  

Old 12-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
newb
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery
"On the next episode of pimp my keezer..."

Dan dunnn... Dah naaaaaaaaaaa
Pshhhhhhhttttttt

Quick Reply