Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > using a hole saw to drill a pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #11
BA_from_GA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Drilling the hole for a electrical element with a step bit is a hard job. Be prepared. I used cutting oil and a harbor freight bit. I've done two and it took at least 15 minutes (maybe more) for the first and longer for the second (the bit was a bit worn by then.

I have cut largish (1.5") holes in metal with a hole saw. It goes much faster. I think this is a much less precise hole and there is the potential for warpage and other aberrations, especially at the moment the hole saw breaks through. I might try it on a keggle, but not on a nice Blichmann pot. No way.
for a UniBit (step bit) the best bet is to get a good bit (i would suggest Irwin). I use them on a daily basis at work, and it takes less than 3 minutes to drill a 1 7/8 hold through 1/4 inch thick steel. It's all in having a high quality bit. We've gotten cheap ones before to save a few bucks, they are poor quality, don't cut well and don't last. The down side is the Irwin bits can be quite expensive if its for only a few uses, so i can understand a decision to get a cheap bit and dealing with the time exchange.

I would, use the uni-bit over a hole saw though. Having used both extensively, the uni-bit gets a much more precise diameter. Hole saws are welded together down one side if you look closely. That weld can (and often does) throw a very small off-round effect to the bit, and when you're trying to get a precision hole, that small amount can make a big difference.

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 02:43 AM   #12
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainFittings View Post
You can call around to the tool rental places (home depot and others) and rent a conduit punch. You still have to drill a small center hole but you end up with a very clean punch out for your element.

Knockout punches are for flat surfaces. The side of a pot is curved. Better off just drilling with a holesaw.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #13
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkone View Post
is there any reason not to use a bi-metal hole saw to drill a pot? i see most of the posts here mention using a step bit (which i used for the first two holes on my pot), but i gotta drill a 1" hole and i figure why not use a hole saw to save some time?
I always use a bimetal hole saw to drill pots, and use a 18 volt hand held to power the job. The process takes less than a minute. Use cutting oil, push hard, and have no fear...

Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #14
NorCalMik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Low RPMs, high pressure and cutting oil. A hole saw should be fine if sharp. Make sure you're cutting and not rubbing.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 AM   #15
bigjoe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1 on low rpm, high pressure.

I just drilled a keggle today, not a pot. Took about 30 seconds of high pressure low rpm with hole saw.

I'm not too concerned about a perfect hole. I drill the hole then dremel it to make the it just large enough to fit the nipple through with minimal to no resistance. I've done 5 now and not a leaker yet using weldless.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #16
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
Better take a tape measure to it. I'm betting that it will require a 1 3/8 hole.
did they teach this in the school of inaccuracies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsbcapt View Post
For me a step drill worked best and easiest. I burned up a hole saw.Cut several with a step drill and its still good.
did you use a quality cutting lubricant?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #17
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
Knockout punches are for flat surfaces. The side of a pot is curved. Better off just drilling with a holesaw.
Did not think about that. I've seen some posts saying it works if you position the cutting edge up and down so it cuts in at the same time.

I personally have not punched or drill the bigger element holes in stainless but it would seem the step bits and hole saws would work the same no matter how large you a hole you are drilling.

Wayne

Stainless Weldless kits and Flat $5.00 shipping to USA 50 States!
NEW - KENT CARBONATION CAPS AND QUICK DISCONNECTS

BargainFittings.com

Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #18
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My boil kettle is made from 3/16" stainless. I drilled 4) 1" holes in it in about 10 minutes. The hole saw worked great. I drilled 12 holes in my kettles with the same hole saw and was still sharp. I used Marvel Mistery Oil for the cutting.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've used both hole saws and step bits and I think steps are great for perfect holes. Even if I were going to go with a 1.25" hole, I'd go to 1" first with a hole saw, then use the step to make it larger. If you have to live with the hole saw cut only, undersize the hole by 1/8" because the bit does walk a bit and create a slightly larger oblong hole. Use a file or dremel to clean it up.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3293 Times on 2052 Posts
Likes Given: 2808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I've used both hole saws and step bits and I think steps are great for perfect holes. Even if I were going to go with a 1.25" hole, I'd go to 1" first with a hole saw, then use the step to make it larger. If you have to live with the hole saw cut only, undersize the hole by 1/8" because the bit does walk a bit and create a slightly larger oblong hole. Use a file or dremel to clean it up.
Great advice.

Quick Reply