Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Upright Keezer with rigid-mounted picnic taps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
mmurray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDad View Post
First: NICE effing build.

and... if you store your keezer in the garage, and you live in Florida, there are bugs that crawl around in the night. Sorry, I can't deal with the thought of that, so, all my taps are inside - and it's going to stay that way.
I live in South Mississippi and understand the bug issue as well... what I did was buy the faucet caps. They are less than $1 each. When ever I'm done pouring a beer I replace the cap, and whenever I'm done pouring a beer for the night I remove all the caps, rinse and spray the inside of the caps with star-san that I keep in a spray bottle and also spray star-san up into the end of the faucet to keep it nice and clean. Then put the caps back on. Keeps everything clean, sanitary and keeps the bugs out.

Hope this helps... BTW it's so easy even the wife does it!

“God bless Homebrewing Beer. There are many things a man can do with his time. And this, is better than those things.”

Gulf Coast Brewers League

GatorDad Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
szazman73
Recipes 

Where did you get your push to connect fittings for you beer line, I'm having trouble finding ones that aren't plastic.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by szazman73 View Post
Where did you get your push to connect fittings for you beer line, I'm having trouble finding ones that aren't plastic.
I got them here: www.poweraire.com (lowest price around)

I've also bought them at www.mcmaster.com too for my work - we use a ton of these types of fittings. We normally get them from a pneumatic parts supplier like motion industries, etc. which you could check too.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 04-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
pnettleton
Recipes 

This keezer is great! I was going to pick up a chest freezer this weekend, but I have an upright - you have given me something to do over the weekend other than just drink/make my beers!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnettleton View Post
This keezer is great! I was going to pick up a chest freezer this weekend, but I have an upright - you have given me something to do over the weekend other than just drink/make my beers!
thanks. post pics of yours when its done if you get a chance.

Here are some more up-to-date pics of mine:

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet

Old 08-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #16
cardinalsfan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

can you give a little more info on the parts you used to connect the cobra taps? i really like this solution but don't seem to understand how you did it. Thanks!!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #17
tracyk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I understand your situation with the bugs, think we have the same bugs here in Texas. I would be just like you, whats in the freezer stays in the freezer. Never need to worry about the bugs! May have to use this idea myself. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalsfan View Post
can you give a little more info on the parts you used to connect the cobra taps? i really like this solution but don't seem to understand how you did it. Thanks!!
First I took the entire cobra tap apart completely. Then I cut the barbed portion of the body off with a hack saw. Then where the barb used to be I drilled and tapped a 1/8 NPT threaded hole using a drill bit and 1/8 NPT tap I borrowed from my work. Then once it was cleaned up and put back together I screwed in a 1/8 NPT x 1/4" Tube push-to-connect fitting through a clearance hole in my mounting bracket then into the cobra tap till it was nice and tight. I did add a tiny screw also to keep the tap from rotating but I don't know if that is 100% necessary.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #19
ehopps1
Recipes 

I picked up the same exact freezer through Craigslist a few months ago. I really like your shelf idea, the wire ones leave something to be desired. How did you attach the steel angles to the wall of the freezer? Every time I try the corn starch /rubbing alcohol paste, everything dries uniformly because the garage is too hot. Also how/where did you run the power wire from, or is that all tied into the existing electrical circuit? Cheers for some great innovation.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehopps1 View Post
I picked up the same exact freezer through Craigslist a few months ago. I really like your shelf idea, the wire ones leave something to be desired. How did you attach the steel angles to the wall of the freezer? Every time I try the corn starch /rubbing alcohol paste, everything dries uniformly because the garage is too hot. Also how/where did you run the power wire from, or is that all tied into the existing electrical circuit? Cheers for some great innovation.
You are right the shelf was a huge improvement. The steel angles have a spacer screwed in each one that slides into the existing shelf holes of the freezer. I slid all 4 brackets with spacers in first then set the shelf on the brackets and screwed them to the bottom of the shelf.

The power wires running to the temp controller tie into the existing power wires. Can't remember exactly how I did it but I probably have a sketch of my schematic around somewhere if you would like me to dig it up.

Funny that you mention the cornstarch test because just last weekend I was looking into that as well after ordering a single Perlick faucet that I plan to install through the side wall. I came to the conclusion from looking at the parts manual online for my model freezer that the condenser coils are completely in the back of the freezer and the evaporator coils are completely inside in the lower back area. Therefore I'm fairly confident that there are not any coils in the sides and I don't plan on doing the test. It might also explain why your test turned out the way it did. That doesn't mean however that I won't still be a little nervous when the drilling begins.

EDIT: never mind what I said about the coils - I felt the side of the freezer and it was warm.

Quick Reply