Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Upright Keezer, 8 taps, 11 kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #191
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iafarmre View Post
I bought the smaller 14 cu ft model (it was available on craigslist) and can squeeze 9 in without messing with the door shelving. Will the wire shelf handle the weight of 4 pin locks or did you do the wood reinforcement to ensure it was secure?
I wouldn't trust the wire shelf by itself, but that's just me. With 6, it was definitely a no-go, but with 4 you might be OK.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #192
one-L
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I bought the smaller 14 cu ft model (it was available on craigslist) and can squeeze 9 in without messing with the door shelving. Will the wire shelf handle the weight of 4 pin locks or did you do the wood reinforcement to ensure it was secure?
With the 14 cu ft model, you having any issues height wise stacking 2 layers of kegs?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #193
Iafarmre
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-L View Post
With the 14 cu ft model, you having any issues height wise stacking 2 layers of kegs?
Using pin lock kegs there wasn't any issue. It is a bit tight, but with the middle shelf still in, you can get 4-5 on the floor and 4-5 on the shelf. If you go with 5 on either one you have to remove door shelving. There's about an inch of space above the tops of the kegs on both levels.

Ball locks are too tall though and won't work in this to stack.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #194
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Using pin lock kegs there wasn't any issue. It is a bit tight, but with the middle shelf still in, you can get 4-5 on the floor and 4-5 on the shelf. If you go with 5 on either one you have to remove door shelving. There's about an inch of space above the tops of the kegs on both levels.

Ball locks are too tall though and won't work in this to stack.
Can you take a picture sometime to show us what it looks like? Also, any chance on interior dimensions? I'm really interested in the possibility of an even smaller footprint.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison Primary: Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/09/27
Untappd: barrooze

Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #195
flounder21
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I found a freezer on CL last week. Looking forward to starting this build. I have most parts but still need a few items. I'm glad I bought my parts over the last six months and not all at once especially with a Brewhemoth arriving in the same week. My freezer was manufactured Sept 2012, very clean and only $275 on CL. Thanks Jon.

keezer-project.jpg  

Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #196
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

sub'd. Awesome build!

Old 02-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #197
John53189
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Subbed

Old 02-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #198
flounder21
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had time over the weekend to install the Co2, drill the door and mount the drip trays. Thanks to Jonw and other posters in this thread for all the inspiration and help. I ended up going with 2 three port drip trays because this model freezer has a vertical door divider on the inside that I wanted to avoid. Also thanks to the heads up from jeffcosgrove, I was able to avoid the vertical wiring in the door. Originally I was not going to populate all the faucet ports (just four to start) but as I thought it through I decided to do all the drilling at one time so 2 more shanks and faucets are on the way. On the fourth shank I over torqued the little sleeve at the faucet end and broke it. They are a little hard to find but I have more of those on the way as well.

Thank You HBT!

keezer-co2-install.jpg   keezer-wip-02_23_2014.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #199
Yesfan

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Quick questions.

1) Do you still have to bypass the defrost if you use a Johnson controller?

2) I know the smaller freezers won't let you stack ball locks, but how many can you get on the bottom layer? I was thinking having 5 gallon ball locks on the bottom and 2.5 gallon ball locks and/or bottles on the top. Would that also allow a lagering carboy on the top shelf with the smaller freezers?

My cousin is looking to add a keezer to his brewery and I'm trying to get him to buy my chest freezer. If he does, I may go the upright route.

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 04-23-2014, 03:06 AM   #200
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post
1) Do you still have to bypass the defrost if you use a Johnson controller?
Yes, it's suggested that you bypass the defrost for any controller you are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post
2) I know the smaller freezers won't let you stack ball locks, but how many can you get on the bottom layer? I was thinking having 5 gallon ball locks on the bottom and 2.5 gallon ball locks and/or bottles on the top. Would that also allow a lagering carboy on the top shelf with the smaller freezers?
I don't know the size of the smaller freezers, so I can't answer that. I will leave that as an exercise for you.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Quick Reply