Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Upright or Chest??? Which is More Popular?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Upright or Chest??? Which is More Popular?

I am in the market for newer freezer very soon to use for 2 main purposes only...1) Fermentation Chamber 2) Cold Crashing

What is the type of freezer everyone uses currently? (Upright or Chest) Why did you come to the decision to make the choice for one over the other, cost not being a factor? I am of the opinion that an upright is easier to load/unload the FV, but a chest freezer would have more room. What say the HBT brethren?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have both - a chest as a serving keezer and an upright for fermentation. My chest freezer is small - 5.8 cuft - and holds 4 kegs for serving with a little extra room for a few six-packs or yeast starter crashing. My upright is 20 cuft. I like the upright because I can easily get my carboys in and out. I built a little shelf that will hold the weight of a couple carboys. I've had two carboys and three corny's fermenting in there at the same time, and it worked well. you're right in saying the chest freezer is work lo load and unload.

Next Brews: Off White - TBD, but at least another try at the Heady Topper clone

Old 10-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #3
doc5md
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

my upright (top freezer) that I use for fermentation chamber will only hold 1 bucket (7.9gal version) or my 13gal dog food container that I use for 10gal batches. I wish I could could get 2 buckets in it.
I've considered opening the top to the bottom so I could build a shelf for a second vessel, but for now I tolerate it.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
doc5md
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

deleted

Last edited by doc5md; 10-09-2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: duplicate deleted.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It really depends on your situation.

For my fermentation chamber I figured like prand that an upright is better, and a chest freezer for keezer.

Also for me space was an issue. I have plenty of vertical space in my garage up to the ceiling, but space on the ground is at a premium only having a 1 car garage. So having a tall and thin stand up freezer was the easy choice for fermentation.

The more difficult thing was finding a frost free upright on craigslist, i wanted a freezer not a fridge for the extra space and easy ability to cold crash and lager at low temperatures without running too hard as most fridges aren't meant to get that cold and hold it...they can but it can stress them. Most upright freezers run their chilling lines through their shelves, which makes them immovable and they are usually at horrible locations that wouldnt allow most fermenters to fit properly. Setting up a free alert on the "Upright Freezer" search on my Local CList though and within a few weeks i found the perfect freezer. Granted I may have overpaid at $100 for a 6 year old freezer, but it was literally exactly what i needed space wise and had no permanent shelves. Also at least around this part in Oregon most people way overvalue their freezers on CL so $100 was a steal...its JUST tall enough to fit two of my 30L Fermentation buckets and a blowoff container, not much else. Built a tiny shelf out of some spare wood my parents had laying around and bam, ferm chamber.

Also having the shelves in the door is nice for bottles. I don't bottle much anymore unless its to take beer somewhere and it doesn't get finished, so it creates a nice place to stash those bottles to keep at sub 70F temp for storage when there's no room in the house fridge.

tdlr; Upright all the way, if your buying used though know it may take longer to find one that doesn't run its chilling coils through the shelves.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I really like my upright freezer. Has a smaller foot print than a chest freezer and I can fit 11 corny kegs in it. Here's the thread on which I based my build.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/

Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Rockindaddy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

I had a chest and got rid of it for an upright. I can store 2 fermenting buckets in the bottom half and 4 cases of beer on the shelves above. I ferment and bottle condition in it, then move them to my beer fridge once they're conditioned. Also it has a smaller footprint and my garage is already tight.

img_20131009_201107_807.jpg  

"He who laughs last..........thinks slowest!"

Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
pmcint01
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

This thread helped me. I was considering a chest model for fermentation, but now I'm reconsidering that.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am definitely leaning towards an upright, and like the idea of placing 2 carboys vertically vs. side by side in a chest freezer. The access to the FV would be much easier, plus you can keep an eye on things. This being said, there are so many more chest freezers for sale on CL vs. stand up. (At least in the price range I want to remain at).

Thanks everyone for the input so far.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #10
Rockindaddy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Be patient, I got mine for $60.00.

"He who laughs last..........thinks slowest!"