The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Upgraded and Simplified Brutus 10 Control Panel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #21
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow, both beautifull rigs, thanks for the photos.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #22
MadDogMorabe
Recipes 

Hey Irrenarzt, you mentioned earlier that the Love controller has changed sence Lonnie's build. In what way? I'm a major rookie to electronics, and the original BYO instructions are very confusing to me, that combined with the Love controller changing I'm lost as to how to wire this panel. I you wouldn't mind mentoring a member could you explain a little more on how you wired you're new panel that has less switches? And if you could post a few photos of the back of the panel, a photos worth a thousand words. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:17 AM   #23
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Well, I can't remember all the details but I know for sure you don't need all the switches Lonnie has on his original plans/control panel. It overly complicates things and makes it more difficult to wire. I recall his plans not working even after multiple attempts and I'm usually pretty good about getting things to work.

Everything you need is right on the Love controller. My labels are toasted but yours probably won't be. You need on/off for the pumps as well.

The Love controllers come with a sheet with the proper wiring diagram. Use that as it may have changed from my model as apparently they have changed from time to time. The wiring shown in the schitty pic I posted is identical to the Love controller diagram I had at the time I built my second control panel. You'll need a short jumper (shown here in black) between the hot and neutral wires shown in the pic to make the switching/relay action work. The probes are the ones on the left of the controller with the brown and blue leads and are the easiest part. I don't recall all the numbers of each slot but if you have new controllers, the labels should still be on the back there.

You'll need common hots, common neutrals and common grounds for the controllers and the solenoids to be wired up correctly. It's all going to depend on your system and how you are achieving the connections etc. But just work it out in your mind and you should be all set.

Hope this helps.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 05-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #24
chuckjaxfl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

So, you had the 80/20 system built, then built another welded system?

Why the second one?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #25
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

The aluminum started to anneal after about 100 batches. I was not planning on upgrading as I was going to replace my upper cross members with a double wide profile member (like a 2x4 instead of a 2x2) which were starting to sag. But I was the steel place picking up a section of stainless rectangular box to make new legs for my conical (cheaper to buy a 10 foot stick and make your own leg extensions than to buy the OEM extensions) and they offered me a screaming deal on 2x2 box section SS so I bought enough to build a new frame on the spot. It was too good a deal to pass up.

I'm glad I made the new frame as the SS is much nicer. It doesn't get nearly as hot and I was able to upgrade my solenoids as well as replace all my steel parts with SS ones. Overall, I'm much happier with the SS frame and do not recommend aluminum unless you have a bunch of it sitting around gathering dust. If you brew a lot, then aluminum isn't a great choice. If you brew about 10 batches a year, the aluminum is probably sufficient. If you brew 50 batches a year, then it will not hold up.

The aluminum frame was far lighter which was a bonus for lifting the rig onto the trailer for offsite brew days (think Big Brew etc), but it gets insanely hot on the top level and made it really easy to burn yourself. You do learn to not touch the frame but you still get the occasional rub then sizzle. Much less chance of this with SS. And I was always geeking out over the integrated gas beam so I was able to do that this time around.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #26
jcorni
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Irrenartz,do you know the model number of the love controls used in your build, I'm at the point were I am ready to run my gas and build my panel.Im glad I came across this thread I'm going to order the gas valves you mentioned earlier in this thread and build the panel like yours, can't wait to finish. Thanks for your help,Joe

Old 05-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #27
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

No I don't know the model for absolute sure as the labels are worn off. But I think they are the Love TS-13010 as mine are 110 V and display in Fahrenheit.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #28
jcorni
Recipes 

Thanks, I will stop by Mc Master Carr for the solenoids,is there a particular type of thermo couple used ,I guess I am referring to the probes themself.
Thanks for your help,Joe

Old 05-10-2013, 04:16 AM   #29
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

The Love controllers come with probes. I use the ones they came with.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
jcorni
Recipes 

I have another question,I bought Love controllers(ts-010) and they did not come with probes,are the probes that came with your controllers stainless steel ends or plastic?

Quick Reply