Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Unveiling my brewery & garage build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #41
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Very cool, great work. Love the hop trellis idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #42
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
Thanks, Lehr. I just checked out your rig (and other fabrication work) - inspirational!!
Thanks ... here is a picture of my trellis in the spring before it is covered over the top with hops, it should provide great shade in the summer for you and hops to use in the fall !
Pat

Old 09-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #43
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

A little about the stand. It's a pretty standard Brutus inspired design, that will do direct fired RIMS in the long run. I'm upgrading from an 11 gallon BIAB setup, so I've made the conscious decision to skip the automation for now and just control the burners manually. I'd like to force myself to focus on the basics of brewing on this setup before distracting myself with the automation portion, or using it as a crutch. That being said, it has been designed entirely with automation in mind, and I expect to add it within the first year. There are very few parts on this stand today that will be redundant when automation is added, I think I'll only be about about $8 worth of gas piping. Speaking of that piping, the gas manifold is simply 1/2" ID black iron pipe with brass gas rated ball valves.

You may note that I added some additional 1" square tube supports on the sides of each burner area. These were a late design addition and are not reflected on the drawings. This is because I designed the stand to be large enough for a potential future upgrade to a 1bbl batch size, using Stout tanks kettles. This decision made using keggles a little bit sketchy (there was a tip factor of they were not positioned correctly), so we added the extra supports to accomodate any size of kettle. I fully recognize that this upgrade may never happen, but it's nice knowing that I have the option to go bigger just by switching my kettles at any point (ok, I'd probably need to upgrade my gas manifold pipe size and add bigger burners too.)

Here are the sketchup drawings. If anyone likes the design and would like the original sketchup file, just ask. I'd be happy to send it along to you. For me, this is the perfect size for both kettle options. At 2" square tubing it is over built for the 15 gallon kegs, but again it is designed 3x 40 gallon kettles (actually 2x 40 and 1x 45). I'd have to check my notes for the gauge steel we used, but the long horizontal beams are a thicker gauge and the uprights and cross bars are thinner to save cost and weight. Bottom line, we put a lot of thought into the potential max load requirements and then built accordingly. And yes, it's overbuilt.

Stand dimensions

Stand with keggle and stout tank mockup

Re-posting the 'done' image from before for those not scrolling the thread

I have a few iPhone pictures of the stand build process I can share if there is any interest.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #44
fall-line

Recipes 

The 10 tip natural gas jet burners are designed to be supported by a 3/8" feeder pipe, so I just have a 1/2" to 3/8" reducing elbow at the top of each 'burner stand'.
Some detail on the gas manifold & burners

For the pilots I just used 1/4" copper tubing and compression fittings.The 'pilot burner' is the DIY variety that many others have used here, just a 1/8" brass plug with a couple of small holes drilled in it. Since I brew indoors with good ventilation above, wind isn't a big factor. These pilots will blow out if you have too much of a breeze, if you brew outdoors or with a strong cross breeze, I definitely suggest a proper pilot burner. Part of the reason I chose to go with 1/4" copper tubing is so that I can easily swap the compression fittings and install this burner if pilot reliability becomes an issue.

(since this was taken I've added a non gas rated needle valve above the ball valve, for more precise control. This way I can just turn the ball valve for 'on and off' and use the needle valve to adjust the flame.

DIY pilot parts list, from the top down:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_34797-104-A-...ductId=3435856
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
http://www.lowes.com/pd_34949-104-A-...ass&facetInfo=
http://www.lowes.com/pd_23152-33599-...3353924&rpp=16

And I cant find the part number on their site, but I used a 1/2" to 3/8" reducing tee fitting at the bottom of each pilot burner, instead of the standard 1/2" tee. I could have just as easily used a 1/2" ball valve and then a 1/2 to 1/8 reducer bushing instead, but this option saved a couple of bucks on each pilot. I also like that there is a visual size difference in the valve for the burner and it's pilot.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #45
smellie_hippie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Jealous and Inspired do not even BEGIN to describe....

I.... but look... is that?...

Yeah, I thought I was at least a somewhat seasoned brewer, but this shows me just how far this hobby can go! My hats off to you good sir!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #46
fall-line

Recipes 

Well thank you! I'm just following in the footsteps of so many others on here.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #47
lorglath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Everything looks fantastic, great work!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #48
CousinsCraft
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

What kind of fitting did you use at the top of the pilot for the flame?
I was also wondering how you secured the black pipe to the stand? Kinda looks like its just floating there.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Lyndon B. Johnson

Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #49
fall-line

Recipes 

CousinsCraft, It's one of these with one of these in it, which I drilled a couple of holes in.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #50
jwitt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is great! What a setup!

Heileman brews Stag Beer...the *ahem* tastiest *cough* lager around!

Anyway, Stag used to be brewed in Belleville Illinois (just across the river from St Louis). Legend has it that I'm related to the old German fellow who started one of Belleville's first breweries, that after changing ownership and expanding, became the Stag Brewery. Rumor also has it that he "brought over the recipe that became Stag." Of course I won't knock his long-gone recipe, because we all know what 150 years has done to American lager. When Stag closed, Heileman got production rolling up in WI.

Anyway, that keggle has, at one time, delivered hundreds of gallons of the stuff. It's still hugely popular cheap beer in this area.

Quick Reply