Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Unveiling my brewery & garage build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #221
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4069 Times on 2261 Posts
Likes Given: 13541

Awesome job fall-line! Great design and implementation on it. One question though - have you parked a car in this garage yet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #222
fall-line
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
Have you seen the beer keg urinal's? That would be perfect for your place.

Sorry to hear about the fridge.
Yeah, there is a local brew pub here that has an awesome one. It's one of those projects I look forward to tackling in the distant future on some long winter weekend when I have nothing better to do than screw around in the shop.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #223
fall-line

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbaumannerb View Post
Awesome job fall-line! Great design and implementation on it. One question though - have you parked a car in this garage yet?
Believe it or not, I have! I've put my car in there a few nights, and brought my wife's car in when I was working on her lights.

I'm not really able to drive a car into it right now though.. I had to build a gravel curb at the edge of the alleyway to keep water runoff from entering the door during our last big rain. Until I get that paved, it is off limits to car traffic.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #224
fall-line

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
Well Damn.. my shiny new fridge that I bought for a steal on craigslist turns out to have a freon leak. I'm investigating doing a DIY recharge, but it looks like someone has already done that recently, indicating a serious leak. Even the newer 134a stuff is a killer on our ozone layer, so I'm leaning towards just scrapping it and starting over with the search for refrigerators.

It's a shame. It was working ok when I brought it home. I unplugged it for a few days and put a ton of work into it to convert it, and only then found the real problem.
I did a little (ok, a LOT) more research on this subject, and in the end curiosity got the better of me. I realized that either way, I'm going to be polluting, it's just a matter of the air or the land(fill). I discovered that 134a refrigerant used by fridges, your car's A/C, etc has a Global Warming Potential score of 3400, when it is released into the atmosphere (it breaks down over time, but this is the worst case scenario. Carbon dioxide's score is 1, for reference.

This means that 1 oz of 134a = 3400 oz of co2 in terms of "relative impact" on the atmosphere, according to the best scale we have fore measuring such things. 3400 / 16 (oz to a lb) = 212.5lb. There are approximately 20lbs of co2 released for every gallon of gas that you burn, so that means releasing 1oz of 134a into the atmosphere is approximately as bad as driving your car long enough to burn 11 gallons of gas..

My fridge takes 4oz of 134a, so even if I fill it all the way up and it all leaks out, it's only a couple of tanks of gas worth of atmospheric impact.. according to the references above, and the shaky math.. The impact is definitely there, but it's not the massive guilt inducing amount I had feared.

Armed with that knowledge I trudged off to the auto parts store to get a few items: A can of 134a, an a/c recharge pressure gauge, and an adapter to connect the snap on socket to my tap's threaded socket (note, my fridge already had one of these installed)

I watched a youtube video, and got to work.

Recharging the refrigerant

Almost instantly I could hear the compressor start to work harder. I went around front and looked inside the freezer and I could see frost forming on the remaining coils before my eyes. I didn't do the recharge very scientifically. I just added a little bit, then waited a few minutes and looked at the frost pattern, then repeated until the frost got almost to the top of the coils (not all the way as I didn't want to overfill.) I should have used my kitchen scale (the same I use to measure hops) to meeter out ~4oz, to be more precise.

After about 30 minutes of filling, waiting, and watching, the coils had a nice layer of frost, and the temp in the freezer had fallen from 40ºF (ambient temp in the garage was 51ºF for comparison) to -2ºF!

The coils, after recharging. Compare to the picture on the previous page.

Now, there is no guarantee that this will last. The refrigerant may leak out over the next few weeks and I'll be back to square one, having polluted the atmosphere. I talked to the guy I bought the fridge from however and he said he had no knowledge of it being recharged in the past. The last service record I could find for it was from 2003.. so there is a chance that the leak is so slow that this will last, and keep this massive thing out of the landfill for years to come.

I'll keep you posted. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

NOTE: 134a, despite the justification I wrote above is still nasty stuff. Please be very careful with it for your own health, an the health of our environment.

(source)

shuckit Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #225
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think you gave new meaning to the term "Green Thumb"

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #226
Thomsen1287
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can empathize on finishing the concrete, I've been involved with an ongoing project to refinish 25,000 sq ft of 20 year old concrete, from 30 grit all the way to 3500 all dry. We are doing it all dry with a giant shop vac that runs on 240, and using a floor scrubber between grits

Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #227
fall-line

Recipes 

25,000sq feet.. wow, I can't even imagine. That'd take weeks at the rate I was going.

(source)

Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #228
Thomsen1287
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We did a test run on about 1000 sq ft from start to finish, took us 16 hours but we learned a lot. We're moving a bit faster than that now but the equipment only goes so fast

Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #229
fall-line

Recipes 

Now that my fridge is tentatively working (so far, it is holding temperatures great with very little compressor activity), I can show you the rest of the conversion process, that started back in post #206.

I decided to try and install my tap board without any visible mounting hardware, so I got a length of threaded 8-32 rod, and some threaded insert nuts that I screwed and epoxied into the back of my board.

Here is the threaded rod secured in the insert nut, from the back of the board

It's bolted to the door with 4 sets of these rod/insert nut combinations, using a small piece of painted plywood for the backer. I've insulated thoroughly between the pieces of wood.

Front the front, fully mounted and ready for the shanks

Now with shanks and drip tray installed

And the final product. I really like how it came out. I hope the fridge lasts!

(source)

Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #230
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Nice!!!

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/