Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Unveiling my brewery & garage build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #211
Niv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Beautiful

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #212
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
When I returned the grinder, I didn't say a word, but the guy behind the counter nodded to me and said, "every floor is it's own special brand of hell."
Great build, sir.
Thanks, Dgonza. I can definitely empathize with the special brand of hell statement. It was definitely one of the most unpleasant DIY projects I've ever tackled in 10+ years of home ownership.

After living with the less than ideal floor for a few weeks now, I'm satisfied enough with it to let it be until next spring. I did get a *very* reasonable quote from a pro that I have worked with before however to fix it, and I plan to hire him to do so. He's a great guy and we had a good time talking about the floor and the beer brewing operation when he was over. Since I've done all the hard work on it already, It will actually cost LESS (only a few bucks less, but still) for him to finish and seal the floor than it would for me to rent the machine and do it myself again. I'm looking forward to that, but am happy to just live with it in the mean time while I have so many other things to focus on.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 11-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #213
NateLTB
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 105

What an awesome project! I wish I had my own garage to set up my brew-space; I'm totally envious.

If you ever decide to have any local homebrewers stop by and drool over your brewery (and trade some homebrew) let me know. I live in Longview but my girlfriend is in Woodinville so I'm up that way every other weekend.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #214
fall-line

Recipes 

Thanks, Nate. It'd be fun to have a few local brewers over for a collaborative brew day at some point in the future.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #215
fall-line

Recipes 

Well Damn.. my shiny new fridge that I bought for a steal on craigslist turns out to have a freon leak. I'm investigating doing a DIY recharge, but it looks like someone has already done that recently, indicating a serious leak. Even the newer 134a stuff is a killer on our ozone layer, so I'm leaning towards just scrapping it and starting over with the search for refrigerators.

It's a shame. It was working ok when I brought it home. I unplugged it for a few days and put a ton of work into it to convert it, and only then found the real problem.

(source)

Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #216
fall-line

Recipes 

A piece of advice for anyone looking to purchase a used fridge or freezer. Inspect the condensor coils (inside the freezer, usually behind a panel) closely. They should have a thin layer of frost on them. Mine did when I bought it, but no longer . Also take a close look at the back of the unit. Look at the compressor, and the copper lines that lead from it. If you see any sort of a 'tap', installed these lines, you know someone has recharged the refrigerant, and you almost certainly have a leak. (see photo below)

Yes you can re-charge it again yourself, but it's terrible for the ozone layer. If you have a refrigerant leak, you should really consider scrapping the fridge.

The silver 'tap' hanging off the copper pigtail is a bad sign.. if you see this on a fridge you are buying, don't!

If your refrigerant is low, your evaporator coils will only have a little bit of frost at the beginning, they should have frost all the way through.

(source)

Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #217
cmumma
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Thanks for illustrating that.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #218
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Looks awesome!

P.S. Where's the urinal?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #219
fall-line

Recipes 

There is plumbing for a urinal right next to the POS fridge. Right now though, I just feel like turning the fridge into a urinal!

(source)

Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #220
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
There is plumbing for a urinal right next to the POS fridge. Right now though, I just feel like turning the fridge into a urinal!
Have you seen the beer keg urinal's? That would be perfect for your place.

Sorry to hear about the fridge.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Quick Reply