Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Unveiling my brewery & garage build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #141
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

^^ true! Though I asked for it. If I didn't want any opinions or suggestions, I'd keep my build to myself, after all.

I think I'm going to carve out some time this weekend to just set the real work aside and brew. Then again, I said that last weekend too...

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #142
fall-line

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
any plans to cover the exhaust tubing? a simple frame and a some drywall scraps could add some style. either just over the tubing or perhaps the same size as the hood? or possibly even shelves or a cabinet to store some things?

the cement backer board certainly is great insurance! looking good!
Yep! I plan on doing a simple sheetrock box around it all the way up. Truth is I had just forgotten about it. I've got some trim work do do around the top and sides of the hood itself too, as it was a built in unit from someone's kitchen. I'll address that at the same time. It may be a while before I get to it though.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #143
fall-line

Recipes 

Big day for me, and the life of the new brewery! This weekend I brewed the first batch on the full setup! I had a lot of fun getting to know my new brew rig, and the brew day was certainly not without some drama. I didn't make it any easier on myself by choosing to brew a pumpkin ale. We have ripe sugar pumpkins in the garden, and my wife is excited about some pumpkin ale as fall is really getting underway. Stuck mash, pump priming issues, some spills, and some temperature issues were reflections of the steep learning curve I've built for myself here. Despite the frustrations, I had a blast and can't wait for the next brew day to iron out the kinks.

Heating the strike water:

The mash. Three lessons learned here, Mash thin for pumpkin, use more rice hulls, and lower the thermometer location if you want to brew 5 gallon batches.

The grain bed after sparging

Transferring to the boil kettle. Used the wrong pump, rookie mistake!

Obviously there is still a lot of work to be done both on the building (more on that shortly), and the brew rig. After months of work though, it was really rewarding to be able to use the system, pretty much as it was designed and complete a brew day. Here's to many, many more to come.

(source)

People Like This 
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #144
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
Yeah i think I'm set on the epoxy-coat stuff if I do anything. The real question I'm still grappling with is why? I've read the benefits of epoxy, and it seems to really come down to this: it's easier to wipe up spills, and it looks pretty.

This floor is going to get abused once I'm done with slag from a welder, sunlight from the two skylights and 3 large windows, dropping heavy things, etc.

I'm already over budget and behind schedule on my garage, and I kind of like the untreated floor. Is it really worth the time, money and energy?

I respect the opinions of everyone on here, and I'td be awesome to have a pretty shiny floor, I'm just not sure that it's worth it.
I almost agree with you, the more painted floors I see, the more I see it peeling and coming up. There is something to be said about keeping the concrete as it is.

What about throwing down some clear coat to stop absorption as much as regular concrete?

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #145
fall-line

Recipes 

Oh yes, closing the loop on the floor conversation. For better or for worse, I've decided to leave the floor untreated for the time being. If I decide in the future to finish it, I'll grind and polish it.

A clear coat in the brew area might be a good short term fix, but I'm not too worried about it right now.

I appreciate all of your input on this conversation. Many of you have garage floors that are nicer than mine, and I'm ok with that.. at least for now.

(source)

Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #146
fall-line

Recipes 

A couple of more updates on the non brewing side of things. I scored this beautiful little wood stove, which I'll install in the corner for an extra heat source in the winter time. Free family hand-me-down. I'm looking forward to getting it installed and firing it up.

After the fun of brewing on Saturday I felt like I had to get some work don on Sunday, so I started the gutter project. I went with 5" aluminum gutters from the box store. I had a few unsolicited bids from local contractors (I imagine they watch for building permits and do drive bys to try and drum up business) that were very reasonable, but I wanted to do it myself. Assembling gutters is pretty easy, and surprisingly fun. I enjoyed riveting the sections together, and it was rewarding to see how quickly they went up.

Gutters, some assembly required.

First side is done. Hopefully I can get the other side done this evening.

(source)

People Like This 
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #147
naga77777
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 646

there should be a "like this thread" button, liking each of the OP's individual posts just won't cut it

Secondary 1: Skeeter Pee
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Two Hearted Clone, Graff, BM Centennial Blonde (again :) )

Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #148
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga77777 View Post
there should be a "like this thread" button, liking each of the OP's individual posts just won't cut it
Agreed. Awesome build.

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #149
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How about collecting the rain water in a big drum? You could some cool things with free water.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #150
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What an awesome Brew-space!

Quick Reply