Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > under $15.00(plus S&H) picnic tap to stout tap modification

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
JMass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi zazbnf, I haven't done this yet, but was thinking of bring my "Guinness" keg to a family reunion this weekend. Also I have my taps apart due to a blown compressor. I'm making a new keezer.

The question is, what is the purpose of the "1 - 3/4" piece 5/8 OD plastic tubing (Fits inside larger tubing to reduce id for picnic tap.)"? It seems like the larger tube is the one that is clamped and where the beer goes through a restrictor anyway, I was wondering why you even need the inside tube. Or is that to keep the O-ring seated? I think the O-ring is usually screwed in place. Also my stout faucet is metal. I wonder if that makes a difference. I believe there are indents in the faucet for a wrench.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 129

subscribed. Well done!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMass View Post
Hi zazbnf, I haven't done this yet, but was thinking of bring my "Guinness" keg to a family reunion this weekend. Also I have my taps apart due to a blown compressor. I'm making a new keezer.

The question is, what is the purpose of the "1 - 3/4" piece 5/8 OD plastic tubing (Fits inside larger tubing to reduce id for picnic tap.)"? It seems like the larger tube is the one that is clamped and where the beer goes through a restrictor anyway, I was wondering why you even need the inside tube. Or is that to keep the O-ring seated? I think the O-ring is usually screwed in place. Also my stout faucet is metal. I wonder if that makes a difference. I believe there are indents in the faucet for a wrench.
The smaller inside piece reduces the inside diameter of the larger tubing like a bushing so it would seal on the picnic tap. The outside diameter of the picnic tap is much smaller than the outside diameter of the stout spout. Using tubing large enough to fit over the stout spout alone, I was unable to get it to seal on the picnic tap.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #24
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks zaz, I put one of these together last night as I was missing my stout. Fortunately I had all the ingredients. I found that the cheap thin walled Lowes tubing fit well on the picnic tap outlet. I also had some larger tubing around that worked well. My guess is that this set up doesn't set the O-ring and disc underneath as tightly as a standard stout tap. Perhaps that was why you were suggesting a lower serving pressure. I found that this picnic stout tap poured faster than my normal stout tap, but the final results were very good nonetheless.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi, I tried this again without the o-ring, and it still seems to work OK.

Quick Reply