The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > under $15.00(plus S&H) picnic tap to stout tap modification

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #11
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr View Post
pressure drop on a stout faucet isn't really critical. you need sufficient back pressure to force the beer through the restrictor plate, driving the co2 out of solution.

you can get the same affect with co2 only, but it will only work for a while as the co2 will slowly absorb into the remaining beer. for a nitro faucet to work well, the total dissolved co2 needs to be relatively low, while the pressure needs to be high. Nitrogen is typically used to solve this conundrum as very little actually gets absorbed into the beer...
Do you know what sort of relativly low levels of dissolved CO2 are? Is 1.75 volumes too much, that's bordering on kinda flat beer

The pressure drop across the restrictor I mentioned is, I'm assuming, the same thing you are calling back pressure as I would assume the exit side is at approximatly atmospheric pressure.

I am keen to try this and see what happens

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr View Post
zazbnf, you're idea of a paintball tank will work, although you'll have the opposite effect of using pure co2, namely that the beer will gradually go flat, causing too little head. That said, this case should be much more manageable.

Also, be careful that it's only nitrogen, as many of the fills are just air.
Sorry I never got back to this thread before today. As an update the Nitrogen paintball tank with pure nitrogen and this modified faucet works great if you are dispensing for an party/event I took this setup to the Peoria,IL Beerfest and it worked great.

I also bought a fill station for the paintball nitrogen tank so I could fill my own and play a bit(and confirm it was really nitrogen). One thing I have learned. Do not try to fill a nitrogen paintball tank with liquid co2, one of the o-rings froze and popped during filling and it all leaked out.

However by filling the paintball tank with just gaseous co2 first to about 700PSI (whatever the standing pressure of co2 is at the temperature it is being stored at - paintball guage is not terribly accurate) Then filling the tank on top of the co2 to about 2500psi with nitrogen(this was the standing pressure of my nitrogen tank for the test) It made a blended gas that has done a fairly good job of maintaining carbonation and dispensing pressure for the past month or so.

My alternate idea for a test was to just dispense with pure nitrogen and give the keg a shot of co2 every so often. Since the idea above seems to work I never got to this one.

note: when I filled the pure nitrogen tank I took to the beerfest my home nitrogen tank was a little low on pressure I was only able to fill to 1100PSI. However 1100 PSI was still sufficient to dispense my 2.5 gallon keg with around 900PSI remaining in the paintball tank at the end of the day. I am pretty sure that even 1 low pressure fill would do a full 5 gallon keg.

My final conclusions: My purpose of these expierments was to try to find a way to make stouts on nitrogen more portable. I think that was a success. This may also be an alternative for those that just want to try a beer on nitrogen once in a while. That being said I always have a stout on nitrogen on tap at home, and I wouldn't trade my Nitrogen/C02 gas blender setup in my home bar for this. But if I wanted to take a keg to an event/party it's a hell of a lot better than a guinness widget

Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I just got a Stout faucet at home for my keezer. I didn't realize that your solution was a possibility. That is great as I like to bring my kegs to parties occasionally. My first thought was that you might break the picnic tap if you clamp down too hard on it with the hose connection, but apparently that was not a problem.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMass View Post
Thanks, I just got a Stout faucet at home for my keezer. I didn't realize that your solution was a possibility. That is great as I like to bring my kegs to parties occasionally. My first thought was that you might break the picnic tap if you clamp down too hard on it with the hose connection, but apparently that was not a problem.
Glad you found it helpful, the nice thing is if you already have a stout faucet and don't need both at the same time you could just borrow the bottom spout from you existing faucet to go portable.

I didn't have any problems with breaking the picnic tap with the clamp, however I didn't really crank the heck out of it. The rubber hose has some give to it so that gives a bit of leeway.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good point. That would cost me $0. You are a beer genius.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
Cheektronic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So could this work on an existing beer faucet connected to a tower? I forgot I have an old nitro tank from my paintball days... This might be interesting...

Old 11-30-2011, 04:46 AM   #17
slatorian
Recipes 

watch out when using CO2 in your tank. Paintball compressed air/nitro tanks are not meant to deal with the liquid left by CO2 when the compression falls or the temperature drops and the gas condenses. the regulators can be finicky. just saying keep an eye out. thats not to say the tank will explode, but those regs can be expensive/annoying to fix. i havent heard of anyone venturing out to put CO2 in their paintball tank... good luck

Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #18
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatorian View Post
watch out when using CO2 in your tank. Paintball compressed air/nitro tanks are not meant to deal with the liquid left by CO2 when the compression falls or the temperature drops and the gas condenses. the regulators can be finicky. just saying keep an eye out. thats not to say the tank will explode, but those regs can be expensive/annoying to fix. i havent heard of anyone venturing out to put CO2 in their paintball tank... good luck
Thanks for the heads up, when I started this project I had no idea what CO2 would do to an HPA paintball tank. Tried googling and didn't find much info. I scored the tank used for $20 and figured I had blown $20 on dumber ideas in the past.

With the initial test, I actually tried liquid CO2, that was a mistake as about 15 seconds in the o-ring froze and popped. Took 15 minutes for the tank to empty back out then it was cold as heck and had to wait for it to warm up before I could see if I ruined it. Was pleasently surprised when it had just popped the o-ring.

When I was taking this to the beer fest, It probably would have worked just as well on pure nitrogen as the beer was gone in a couple hours after tapping. Long term usage, I would still probably take my chances and blend the gas, but if you were worried about the long term health of your HPA tank, you could always do as many here do and give the keg a charge of CO2 every now and then.

As for using this on a standard faucet, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Based on what I have seen here the parts in the spout seem to be the working parts of a stout faucet. You might have to play with your pressures a bit to get it dialed in.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
jhorgan1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I have a few questions about the setup. Does the straightener go in the spout, then the restrictor, and then the o-ring? Also I bought the tubing with the measurements you provided but I'm having a hard time getting the inner tubing to fit inside the bigger tubing. Also the inner tubing is way too big to fit over the picnic tap spout. I'm pretty sure that my picnic tap is standard. Are you sure that the inner tubing is 5/8 OD?

In the works: Lime Beer, Stone Ruination clone, my quest for my own perfect original IPA recipe
Primary: Edworts Haus Pale Ale, PM Raging Bitch clone (dry hopping)
Keg: Guinness Clone
Bottled: Oktoberfest and Sourish IPA

Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #20
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorgan1 View Post
I have a few questions about the setup. Does the straightener go in the spout, then the restrictor, and then the o-ring??
Yes, exactly like that.

Quote:
also I bought the tubing with the measurements you provided but I'm having a hard time getting the inner tubing to fit inside the bigger tubing. Also the inner tubing is way too big to fit over the picnic tap spout. I'm pretty sure that my picnic tap is standard. Are you sure that the inner tubing is 5/8 OD?
That was the size tubing I purchased from local ace hardware(at least that is how they had it marked), the tubing was not a tight fit over the picnic tap, but it wasn't sloppy either, and The clamp tightened down enough to prevent leaks.

I suppose it is possible that the tubing I bought was thicker walled which would make the inner diameter smaller. Is it possible your smaller tubing is larger than 5/8 od? mine slid inside the 5/8 id tubing without a lot of effort. I don't think a longer piece would have worked as it did tighten up after a short distance.

Quick Reply