New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > turning this liquid oxygen tank into a fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #21
BrewBeemer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Jon; a few questions here.
What other sizes do these liquid oxygen tanks come in and how hard are they for a person like me to locate one? It must be from my area as i'm on thefull left coast in the San Francisco bay are. I would like to locate one like you have or a little larger without having a big diameter unit causing one per refrigerator fermenter. I have the welding equipment with a good friend that works only stainless plus has a 16" Pratt lathe for the sealing rings.
The gears in head spinning on ideas.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #22
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i have only seen two sizes. the one i am using, and a smaller one about half the size. i am sure they come in other sizes, but you wont find one.

the problem will be finding one. AirGas, praxair, airliquide are companies that would have the tanks. more than likely they wont give you one, but it wouldnt hurt to ask. i would first ask if they have any that are out of service, or very old ones.

File:Liquid nitrogen tank.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is a newer one, as you can see the outside is stainless just like the inner cyl.

you might be able to find an old one where the outside is steel and the inside is stainless.

new they are a few thousand dollars.

also, if its taken out of service they are probably going to drill a hole in it or cut it in half before they give it to you. tell them what you want to do with it, most people in my industry are intrigued by this kind of stuff.

you can also try welding supply shops, soda distributors(they sell co2 in these now for bars) any place that sells medical gas.

the bigger the company the more they would have, but the less likely they would be to give you one.

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 02-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #23
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.chart-ind.com/images/pg_duracyl_series_big.jpg

here is a pic of some sizes.

"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 02-06-2009, 04:12 AM   #24
BrewBeemer
Recipes 

The welding supply driver I see in my area delivers at my friends muffler shop and the other friend the stainless fabricator. They both have the same driver for welding gases. I have seen many times the double wrapped stainless oxygen tanks on his truck. No steel wrapped. I'll have to ask him next time about them. Thanks for posting now you got me thinking on how to spend some more magic money I don't have. In my area all scrap metal prices are down again even stainless. Your lucky take care of that tank. Two fermenters would be the only thing I would build out of it if it were mine as kegs and pots are cheap and common, get 'em anywhere. Any brand fermenter is expensive to purchase. You have this perfect chance to build two your own granted it's not going to be cheap but not as much as what is on the market these days. Besides I do not like the design of what is out there. maybe i'm more jazzed about that tank than you are, sorry it's just me. Enjoy.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #25
BrewBeemer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
brewbeemer--

i am in the compressed gas business, we had a bunch of these laying around so i cut it open and saw the stainless tank inside and ideas started flowing.

its just under 75 lbs when its all cut away, and the price of scrap is not worth very much at all. the bottom dropped out about a month ago.

XXguy

we do sell the gas, but i am not a very good welder. we supply a bunch of local welders some of who specialize in stainless so i am now in the process of finding out if one of these guys can make some nice cuts and welds for me.
You got that right on the bottom falling out on metals even batteries were up to $0.50 a pound now $3 to $4 each. Great as I have over 850 pounds I wanted to cash in. There went my March pumps and other needed items. Again a day late and a dollar short that's me.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #26
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

well...right before the prices went so hi i had about 300 lbs of copper. i only got $1 a pound for it.

at one point it was over $3.50. very upset about that one

Old 02-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #27
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

they dont make these any more, the have moved completely to the double stainless versions.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #28
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i would ask that driver is they have any around. we have one here that a truck backed into. its almost new, but its worthless now.

stuff hapens, you might get lucky.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #29
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok, so is there anywhere to get a cheaper cone than toledo metal spinning

Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #30
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Keep looking for the things cheaper but if I was you, eventually I would save the scratch, splurge and get them from Toledo. You are going to get it way cheaper than if you bought the whole thing commercially.

Quick Reply