New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Turkey fryer kit vs sanke keggle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #21
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfanmike View Post
Holy Sh*t, did you turn that up to 11? I have a burner like that one and I had no idea that could happen, used mine now for several 10 gal batches. I need to move up my schedule for building a proper stand. Thats scary stuff there.
yeah it was a butt pucker moment for sure when I saw my keggle starting to Gansta Lean, Quick Goat thinking and I make use of 2 ratchet straps to hold it from falling over.

-=Jason=-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #22
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I got a turkey fryer for 60. It will work until I can afford a keggle.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #23
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Erroneous, I set up my brew stuff just recently (on a real tight budget thanks to SWMBO) if you go with the fryer you get a Aluminum pot (not ideal as it starts reacting with wort) that is also small which means you have to really watch boil overs and no room to go for 10/15 gal batches and a burner that (as shown above) can collapse.

If you go for a keggle you get a SS 15 gallon pot for $10-40 dollars plus a 10 dollar angle grinder. Then take the keg to a welder and get him to TIG weld a nipple on it for you (hint most welders like beer and may do a trade). I love my keggle, burners are cheap but a good SS pot is not and a cheap burner stand is a hazard (as shown above)

Clem

Old 06-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #24
Beezy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine
Erroneous, I set up my brew stuff just recently (on a real tight budget thanks to SWMBO) if you go with the fryer you get a Aluminum pot (not ideal as it starts reacting with wort) that is also small which means you have to really watch boil overs and no room to go for 10/15 gal batches and a burner that (as shown above) can collapse.

If you go for a keggle you get a SS 15 gallon pot for $10-40 dollars plus a 10 dollar angle grinder. Then take the keg to a welder and get him to TIG weld a nipple on it for you (hint most welders like beer and may do a trade). I love my keggle, burners are cheap but a good SS pot is not and a cheap burner stand is a hazard (as shown above)

Clem
Aluminum does not react with the wort and I can't find kegs anywhere. Even if I wanted to spend 100 bucks I can't find one. Not much of a metal worker either so will probably save up 200 bucks and get one already made.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #25
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Penrose is a good deal for the price.
http://brewhemoth.com/penrose-kettle

My hop stopper

Old 06-17-2011, 02:13 AM   #26
olsond
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah I just got a brand new Turkey Fryer kit on CL for $25 (using it as my HLT). If you're not in a rush keep an eye out. it's well worth it.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:04 AM   #27
Beezy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy
The Penrose is a good deal for the price.
http://brewhemoth.com/penrose-kettle
Looks nice. There is a guy near me that makes keggles so I can save some on shipping. I will have patience.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #28
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Penrose looks nice, but I'm thinking I can make my keggle for much less. Saw a $15 turkey fryer on CL today but drove out to Kissimee to get that keg for $10. He'd have given my the other for $5 but I don't keep cash on me and only had the $10. Oh well.

BTW, anyone ever have issues with a keg that bulges in the middle instead of being straight walled? Also, any recommendations for burners? If I want room to grow, what kind of BTU range would you recommend for heating 10 gallons in a keggle?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #29
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisT View Post
i went with a keggle and have been very happy with it. But you'll also have to get a step bit to drill the hole for the ball valve, install the ball valve. ask some of your buddies/friend if they have a step bit you can borrow since there not cheap. The best thing about a keggle is that you can grow into it as a brewer. If you wanted to brew 10 gallon batches you can.....
You know you almost never hear of some one not happy that they use keggles over brew pots
one can get a step bit pretty cheaply. if you get a nice price on a keg the 20 for the step bit is nothing. and if you have a harbor freight stopping by there is even better

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Quick Reply