Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Turbo Better Bottle Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 02:42 AM   #1
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Turbo Better Bottle Washer

Lately I've been in an improve the brewery mode.... If it ain't broke, make it better.
So I was soaking a BB in oxyclean last night and was thinking, "man that is a lot of wasted water. I remember seeing the BYO article on how to make one out of copper and it looked okay, just a bit wide at the bottom and with all of those fittings I'd be afraid I would scratch something.

Here is the build list.
$6.77 - 1/2" type M copper pipe @ 5'
$0.48 - 1/2" pipe cap
$1.57 - #8 hose clamp pack of 2
$2.35 - 1/2" Female NPT adapter
$7.63 - 1/2" Sweat Ball Valve
$4.55 - 5' of 1/2" ID braided vinyl tubing
~$2.00 - 1/2" MPT to 1/2" Hose Barb (Had one on hand)
$3.87 - Portable Dishwasher sink adapter
$7.73 - Mister Landscaper Large Circle Spinner (MLM-15) Pack of 10 need 1..
$36.95 - Total. You could do better if you buy the pipe by the foot and find smaller packages of the mister landscaper. You could also forgo the ball valve and use the sink valve.

Cut 1 24" piece of pipe and one 6" piece.
Drill a 5/32 hole in the middle of the pipe cap.
Sweat the 1/2" FPT adapter to one end of the 6" pipe and the valve to the other end.
Sweat the other end of the valve to the 24" pipe and sweat the cap to the end of the 24"

I took a sending drum to the lip of the cap so it was nice and smooth. Didn't want to scratch up the neck of the BB.

Take one of the mister landscaper bits and screw it in to the hole in the cap. It wont screw right in and will require a fair bit of force while turning, but it will go. Maybe seating it with some JB weld or other epoxy would be a good idea.

Thread in the 1/2" hose barb at the other end and attach the hose with a hose clamp.

Push the portable dish washer faucet adapter on the other end of the hose and secure it with a clamp.

Screw it in to the sink turn the hot water on. Shove it in a better bottle and let her rip.

I don't have a dirty carboy to test it on so I don't know how effective it is. This is the first time I have looked forward to cleaning one...

[youtube]j2X4oc9Hq6w[/youtube]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

That is insane. Overkill, and very very cool!!!!!! I just use oxyclean or my jet bottle washer, but that is cool.

I wonder how it would work in a beer bottle. *grins evilly*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-31-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
P-Lay
Recipes 

Wow. That looks like it works well.

Cheers!
P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad coffee View Post
Why kill when you can OVERKILL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManes View Post
Have you considered drinking more?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
That is insane. Overkill, and very very cool!!!!!! I just use oxyclean or my jet bottle washer, but that is cool.

I wonder how it would work in a beer bottle. *grins evilly*
Hey thanks!

I bet it would work well, the only problem is the sprinkler is too wide for the bottle mouth. It looks like the wing on one side could be cut off and it still work. Don't quote me on that though.

They have other options that may work but I liked the rotating concentrated stream.

Surprisingly it doesn't make mess. I tried it on an ale pale and it through up a whole lot of mist but that was about it. It doesn't use a whole lot of water either. It does say 10 gph but my tap pressure is probably twice what they are rated at. Still, that isn't much water.

I'm also thinking about using a couple of the 90 deg fan misters as a return for my cooling water for the CFC. This way I can recirculate a couple of gallons through ice instead of 7 like I currently am.

Last edited by CodeRage; 12-31-2009 at 03:48 AM. Reason: No longer have an IC...

Old 12-31-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
JVD_X
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
Hey thanks!

I bet it would work well, the only problem is the sprinkler is too wide for the bottle mouth. It looks like the wing on one side could be cut off and it still work. Don't quote me on that though.
Nope... the sprayer is held on the top and the water of jet sprays out at the spinner.

- JVD_X

Old 12-31-2009, 04:51 AM   #6
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD_X View Post
Nope... the sprayer is held on the top and the water of jet sprays out at the spinner.
Yeah, I figured that much out I don't know if both sides need to be attached to the top to hold the spinner in place. I just clipped one and it is hard to tell. Ill test it tomorrow.

1/2" pipe would be a TIGHT fit in the bottle to. I don't think I would go bigger than 3/8"

Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I have a buddy here in town and on here, that has built prolly every gadget on here and on youtube. I pmmed him about this gizmo, I expect to see it in his brewery withing the week.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If I paypal you a couple bucks, would you send me a pair of those spinners?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

PM sent

Old 12-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
aubrey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wonder how it would work if you put some PBX or OxyClean in a bus tub, made your super spinner thing stationary and pointing up vertially, and used a sump-pump to pump the PBW through it. Hold the BB upside down and move it up and down (in a suggestive manner) so the cleaner runs out and back in to the bus tub so you can recirculate the cleaner. Would be a great way to clean several of them at a time, and if you found a configuration that would fit in a beer bottle, that would be even awesomer.

Edit: Something like this pump might work, and its only $9. It has a max of 66GPH, not sure what the min is, but there's a switch.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45303

Secondary: Bavarian Hefewizen (extract)
Bottle: Blue Moon clone, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, Christmas Chocolate Stout (All Grain)
Keg: AHS West Coast Pale Ale, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (All Grain)

Last edited by aubrey; 12-31-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply