Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Trouble wiring my ebay temp controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
BigPatBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trouble wiring my ebay temp controller

I just got in my temperature controller from ebay. I want to use it to control the temperature on my kegerator. It appears to be different than the one in the other thread on this forum. Can anyone give me any advice on how to wire this thing up? There are three wires coming from the power cord(white, black, green). Here are some pics of the controller and the wires of the kegerator. Thanks in advance for any help!

Here is a link to the controller I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/250907311822...84.m1497.l2649

img_3215.jpg   img_3830.jpg   img_4228.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1031 Times on 836 Posts

Assuming you have a power cord to a 110vac wall socket with black, white and green wires, along with the power cord to the kegerator...

- Connect the black wire from the wall power cord to contacts labeled 1 and 3 (ie: daisy chained).

- Connect the white wire from the wall power cord to contact 4 and then to the white wire to your kegerator (again, a daisy chain).

- Connect the black wire to the kegerator to contact 2.

- Connect the green wires for both cords together.

- The temperature probe obvious connects to terminals 7 and 8.

That'll do it. Enjoy!

Cheers!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
BigPatBrewer
Recipes 

Thank you so much for the info! The cord comes out of the back of the kegerator in a hollowed out area where the connections are made. I plan on mounting the controller into that area and splitting the cord right after it comes in. That way the install will be super clean. Thanks again for the help!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
BigPatBrewer
Recipes 

So I set the controller to cool to 38 degrees. After letting it sit overnight, it is only down to 50. The weird thing is, even though the "Work" light is on, the compressor is not running all the time. When it turns on, it seems to lower the temp but it turns off before it gets to 38. Any ideas?

Old 11-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What is the temperature control of the fridge set to? Perhaps the fridge itself is set to 50.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
BigPatBrewer
Recipes 

The kegerator original thermostat is set to coolest setting. I will have to recheck my wiring tonight. The probe is in the top of the kegerator. I have the tip of the probe submerged in a small container of water.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPatBrewer View Post
The kegerator original thermostat is set to coolest setting. I will have to recheck my wiring tonight. The probe is in the top of the kegerator. I have the tip of the probe submerged in a small container of water.
This works, but it may take the fridge a few cycles before the temperature of the liquid gets to the set temperature on the controller.

What it means: If the temp inside the fridge reaches the lowest setting allowed by the fridge, say 38F, it'll turn off the compressor and wait for it to warm up above the setting (probably around 40-42F). All this time, the temp inside the liquid will be dropping say from 68 down to 50F. This is when the heat transfer is occurring. Eventually the liquid will have given off all its heat, and the inside of the fridge and the liquid will reach a near-equilibrium. (near, because they will always vary a bit).

M_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
BigPatBrewer
Recipes 

So I took the probe out of the water bottle. The lowest it will get now is 45. I tok the temperature on the floor of the kegerator and it was around 33. Is there usually this much of a temperature swing from the top to the bottom of a kegerator?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Get a small fan 5v or 12v and circulate the air to push the cold air from the bottom. It's very similar to the wine fridges where they tell you to put the whites on the bottom because the cold air settles.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
BigPatBrewer
Recipes 

Thats what I was thinking. Im just a little surprised that there is that much variance.

Quick Reply