Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Trouble finding a 1/2 inch ss butt weld male camlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
barryfine
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Trouble finding a 1/2 inch ss butt weld male camlock

Do any of you guys know where I can find 1/2 inch stainless steel butt weld male camlocks? I've scoured the internet and have come up dry. McMasterCarr sells them in larger sizes, but not 1/2 inch. I'm trying to build a welded hopback and would really like to avoid having threads in the build if possible and don't want to get tri-clamps since everything else in my brewery is camlocks.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
OMJ
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Contact proflowdydamics. They supply most of the home brew websites with camlocks.

You could also cut or machine the threads off although that's certainly a pain.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
barryfine
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
Contact proflowdydamics. They supply most of the home brew websites with camlocks.

You could also cut or machine the threads off although that's certainly a pain.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I just checked their website and they don't seem to carry them either.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You wont find them and if you do, you won't like the price. If you are welding anyway, just cut the barb off a type E.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
barryfine
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You wont find them and if you do, you won't like the price. If you are welding anyway, just cut the barb off a type E.
Thanks for your input Bobby. Cutting the barb off sounds easier than cutting the threads off of a type F, but still sounds like a pain in the rear.

I don't understand why this part is so difficult to find. Thanks anyway guys.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Why? Because people that are willing to weld a connector onto anything would likely go with triclover. Folks that have a lot of camlocks usually don't care about having pipe threads, usually. Hopbacks are on the hot side anyway so I would probably solder in a 1/2" spud and thread in a type F. Well, maybe I'd stick with cutting the barb off the E.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
lumpher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

pretty upsetting words combined together: butt weld male... never mind. this non-welder is going back into hiding for these kinda posts now...

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
barryfine
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Why? Because people that are willing to weld a connector onto anything would likely go with triclover. Folks that have a lot of camlocks usually don't care about having pipe threads, usually. Hopbacks are on the hot side anyway so I would probably solder in a 1/2" spud and thread in a type F. Well, maybe I'd stick with cutting the barb off the E.
Yeah, that all makes sense and I have lots of threads elsewhere in my brewhouse, but everything is weldless fittings so I didn't really have a choice. I figured since I'm getting it welded, may as well try to avoid threads if possible. Thanks again for your replies!

Quick Reply