Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Tony's Keezer Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
Toneus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Testing the Tap Spacing

Tonight I was able to work on the Keezer for a couple hours. I added mounting blocks to join the coffin to the top. To accommodate the new blocks, I also had to make new cutouts in the foam board. I also tested and decided that my tap spacing will be 4 1/2".

To figure out the tap spacing, I drilled holes in a piece of plywood ranging from 3" to 5" apart. Maybe it's my big hands, but I felt that 4" was the minimum, and I liked 4 1/2" the best. After I decided on 4 1/2", I used blue painter's tape so I could visualize the full layout. I can have up to 6 taps 4 1/2" apart, with extra inches on the wings. The taps (blue dots) look low, but they are centered vertically for a 6" fascia board which will attack over this face with an overhang for recessed lighting.

My fascia board is 32" over a 30" drip tray.
|-4.75-o-4.5-o-4.5-o-4.5-o-4.5-o-4.5-o-4.75-|

I don't plan to start with 6 taps, but it's there when I'm able to brew more than I drink.

That's all for tonight.

Cheers!

imag0291.jpg

Last edited by Toneus; 01-31-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
brewser7
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Tap spacing is one thing I've been going back an forth on as well. Good idea with the painters tape. I'll stop drinking BEFORE I start working next time so I can think of these ideas.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
Toneus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewser7 View Post
Tap spacing is one thing I've been going back an forth on as well. Good idea with the painters tape. I'll stop drinking BEFORE I start working next time so I can think of these ideas.
I completely understand. However, I have no such excuse. I went to both HD and the woodworking store today, only to realized that I forgot to buy jigsaw blades for cutting metal on both trips. Three trips to the stores for hardware today. Joy! It's amazing that I'm getting anything accomplished.

I'm starting off with two faucets, which I have to have up and running for Superbowl Sunday. I drilled them today with a 7/8" Forstner bit. They came out perfect, nice snug fit.

I'll probably finish off the foam board insulation around the shanks tonight.

Love Controller should arrive tomorrow!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #14
davidr2340
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

This is a great build! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Primary: Empty
Kegged: Hazelnut Brown Ale / Tipple Twister Barleywine

Old 02-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #15
Toneus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

The more I noodled on the build, the more concerned I became about the weight of the top. Badbrew got me thinking about adding extra hinges, that morphed into the overall strength of the lid itself.

dsc_0022.jpg

I decided to build a skeleton for the lid. This will not only strengthen the lid itself, but it will give me a good mount point for extra hinges. Getting all of the pieces in was a real puzzle, but I think I have a very strong framework to build on. I'll end up mounting the top to the framework using through bolts.

keezerlidwolf.jpg

Cheers!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

^^^ I like that idea. Home depot hinges secured into the wood would probably strengthen the lid good. If it becomes heavy to open and close, then you could always consider some lightweight door lift shocks as well like the ones that hold tonneau covers open but lighter. Just an idea, maybe overkill.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
DodginBUIs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

subscribed

Old 02-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #18
Toneus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Que the Music

The Mating Dance of the Keezer. The pieces are all lined up and ready to begin reassembly.

I used a Dremil to cut the holes in the freezer lid, and the plastic inner skin. I did some fine tuning using the various grinding and sanding attachments. I would say it can no longer be returned.

21-tckeezertoppieces.jpeg

I put 6 though bolts in the top, all countersunk with Tee Nuts, very solid. Then, I recut the insulation to fit around the new skeleton.

22-tckeezertopinsulation.jpeg

A few minutes later, the wolf in sheep clothing was buttoned up and ready to play. I'm really happy that I was able retain the wiring for the switch, light, and running lamp. Oh yeah, I decided to pull the running lamp out of the factory handle. I'm going to run it up to the coffin. I don't know where I will mount externally yet, but I have the option.

23-tckeezertopdone.jpeg

Cheers!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #19
Toneus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pressure Testing

With the Superbowl right around the corner, I want to make sure that I'm not leaking beer or CO2. These faucets are not exactly new. I used them several years ago for a fridge conversion. At first they were dripping, but I was able to stop the leaks by tightening up the faucet to shank joint.

The plan is to have a couple of HB kegs, and a commercial beverage (likely Coors Light) on tap for Sunday.

I'm tempted to throw a couple of kegs on the lines now.

Cheers gang!

24-tckeezerpressuretest.jpeg

Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
Toneus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default The First Pour, 3rd Tap, and a little Love

The thread has been quiet lately, but I've been working in the background.

First things first. The first pour has occurred, and it was a beautiful moment.

25-tckeezerfirstpour.jpg

Because I wanted to push the Keezer into service for the Superbowl, there were a couple of things that had to take on a temporary form.

1. Temporary veritical braces to support the top and prevent the seal from being crushed.
  2. Added a 3rd faucet and lines to support a commercial Sankey keg. I thought my old regulator would work for this, but I found that it has left hand threads. Since my new gas setup has right hand threads, I'm going to switch over. I have a second regulator on order, which I really need now, because the I put a 1/6 keg of Blue Moon on tap for the SB should really be up around 14psi. Having the BM on top kept lighter beer drinkers and the SWMBO happy.
  3. I wired up the new Love TSS2 Controller from Dwyer. I'm using the second probe/control to run computer fans in the coffin. The outlet box is temporary because I would like a cleaner mounting and routing of wires.

You can see in this picture that I had the temperature low. I've since brough it up to 45F degrees. Also, you might notice that one of my supports is not straight up and down. Even though they are all exactly the same length the front right board holds the lid slightly open. I didn't notice it before, but the ding and dent freezer appears to have a small crush component to it too. It's not much and I'll work it out in the build. I've since shorted that support so the seal sits right.

26-tckeezer3rdtaplove.jpeg

Some great pours coming out of the Keezer, so much so that my supply is reaching a critical phase.

Cheers!

Quick Reply