Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Time to take the plunge... Single Tier Plans

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Time to take the plunge... Single Tier Plans

Well, I've been doing some serious thinking about space, repeatability, and the overall process of my brew day. A friend of mine has the ability to get me some steel tubing at or below cost. Since I already have a March Pump and I'm having good luck with batch sparging (80% efficiency on average) I'm going to start a single tier build. I will outline absolutely everything for this build including the wiring of EACH component, installation, cut sheet for the steel, and I will make a running count on cost. FYI- I do get a lot of fittings for almost free (work salvage) so some of my costs will be referenced off Ebay or other vendors.

I spent the day figuring out google sketch up to draw out my plans. This will most likely be built from 2"x2" steel tubing. If things change I will alter the design for anyone that may want to follow. I'll keep posting as I get things together.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd keep the legs shorter...you'll want to be able to reach and/or see into the kettles on top of the stand. Even if you are 6 feet tall, stirring the mash or looking into a mashtun or kettle would be hard to do. Keep in mind you'll more than likely be adding casters to that as well, which means even more height.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Beerwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

IMHO for this design 2x2" is overkill. I've just built a larger 2-tier design out of 1.5"x1.5" 1/8" wall stainless (more along the lines of a Brew-magic) and the proportions are perfect, the structure ultra-rigid. You really don't need 2x2.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 910 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I completely agree that 2" is overkill.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
nicksteck

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Lopez View Post
Well, I've been doing some serious thinking about space, repeatability, and the overall process of my brew day. A friend of mine has the ability to get me some steel tubing at or below cost. Since I already have a March Pump and I'm having good luck with batch sparging (80% efficiency on average) I'm going to start a single tier build. I will outline absolutely everything for this build including the wiring of EACH component, installation, cut sheet for the steel, and I will make a running count on cost. FYI- I do get a lot of fittings for almost free (work salvage) so some of my costs will be referenced off Ebay or other vendors.

I spent the day figuring out google sketch up to draw out my plans. This will most likely be built from 2"x2" steel tubing. If things change I will alter the design for anyone that may want to follow. I'll keep posting as I get things together.
i like the drawing, i wish i had a 3D image to look at, i went with a 25'' tall frame and ended up with the casters 30.5''

i know i don't have a lot of posts but if you need any numbers from me i just went through the process in 1 month start to finish

Nick

Kegged/Drinking: Red Hook ESB Clone
Kegged/Drinking: High Octane IPA

Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
nicksteck

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwolf View Post
IMHO for this design 2x2" is overkill. I've just built a larger 2-tier design out of 1.5"x1.5" 1/8" wall stainless (more along the lines of a Brew-magic) and the proportions are perfect, the structure ultra-rigid. You really don't need 2x2.

so how is 1.5 x 1.5 1/8'' less than 2 x 2 1/16''

you have 25% more area and half the thickness and more surface area for strength

Nick

Kegged/Drinking: Red Hook ESB Clone
Kegged/Drinking: High Octane IPA

Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This is just a rough drawing ATM... As far as 2x2 goes, I'll take whatever is FREE. If I were paying for steel, I'd probably choose 1x1 @ .12" thickness, however I can't complain when it comes to FREE.

--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

I think that it looks tight, regardless of what anyone sayes... I love it. Build on.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I probably will shorten it, however I'm still not really sure why anyone would have issues with 2x2 steel...

--Tom Waits

--Frank Zappa

Old 01-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

2X2 may be overkill but WTF it looks better. And it sounds like the price is right.

Good point on the height though.

http://www.lonewolfbrewery.com/

Quick Reply