TIG welding rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I decided to have someone show me how to TIG weld. We have a few of them at the shop where I work and got some advice on how to use it. I did a few practice welds when the guy was here, and this weekend I welded some drop down sides on a Stainless shelf I want to put in my kegerator.

What a dream! Only the air compressor was off so I could not finish the shelf, nor use the plasma cutter to trim the next pieces. The weld was smooth and round and I only needed fill on the corners.

Only real problem was that even though I only welded a few inches, the light was bright enough to give me sunburn on my arm between my short sleeves and my gloves. I never the burned like that using my MIG welder at home.

Some of the worst "burns" I have received were with a TIG. Second only to burning a 5/16" rod at 200A on a 950 bucket. That one "sun burned" me through the thin areas in my welding shirt!

TIG is the bomb... used one in school and it totally blows away MIG and stick welding, unless you're welding farm equipment then stick is completely acceptable. Long sleeve shirts are a must.

Yeah, I have a 100V MIG for the Mustang bodywork I need to do, and my dad's old stick welder. Just wanted to try TIG at work since we have a few and I had a stainless shelf I wanted to weld. I love it, even though I only did a few inches... Oh, that's going to be someone's sig...

Back