Three in one oil in my keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoundersBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, while drilling a hole for my new keggle the three in one oil from the bit managed to creep inside; now I have several oil spots in the keggle. Has this ever happen to any of you, and if so whats the best way to get it out?

I used bar keepers friend to clean the inside of my keggle, i'll wash out well and sanitize before its first use though

-=Jason=-

I used bar keepers friend to clean the inside of my keggle, i'll wash out well and sanitize before its first use though

-=Jason=-

Barkeeper's Friend is your friend!

It will make your stainless look new, and oxidize (I hope that is the right term) the metal which prevents rust. PBW is great also, but for removing the oil, I would scrub it out with BKF first, rinse it well, take a clean towel and wipe it dry (I think htis is necessary beacuse you will get a grey residue from BKF) and let it air dry so the "oxidation" can occur.

My .02¢

Powdered Brewery Wash, made by Five-Star Chemicals.

FWIW, You can make your own equivelent PBW with OxiClean Free, and Red Devil TSP (found at Ace Hardware)

Search for how to make your own PBW, you'll come across ssome threads discussing it.

-=Jason=-

Just a note here... while it not harmful to sanitize your keggles, it's also not necessary. "Clean" is all that's needed, since the boil will kill off any nasties.

Just a note here... while it not harmful to sanitize your keggles, it's also not necessary. "Clean" is all that's needed, since the boil will kill off any nasties.

well yeah, but using a keggle for the first time I am going to feel safer taking the precaution of sloshing some starsan around in there first.

-=Jason=-

What does the Bar Keepers Friend do to protect stainless? Leaving it dry does what?

BKF passivates the steel. After dry, it will leave a protective oxide film on the surface, increasing corrosion resistence.

Passivation is designed to maximize the inherent corrosion resistance of stainless steel.

Back