The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > think this will work for a hopback???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
wncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default think this will work for a hopback???

I found this thing rummaging through the parts room at work today. It was originally designed as a filter for a pesticide sprayer. It was new in the box and has never been used (before someone calls me an idiot for scavenging parts from a pesticide sprayer) I am worried that it isn't going to be large enough. The bowl has roughly a quart capacity. And I think I can fit a couple ounces of leaf hops inside the screen if I really pack them in. My other concern is heat resistance. It looks to be same type of plastic used in home water filters...thoughts????...wnc

forumrunner_20110923_133534.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

It won't hold up to the heat, but it might work great as a randall.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
aardii
Recipes 

I think your only issue would be if the plastics could take the heat of hot wort from the kettle without melting or oozing into your brew.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks...I think I'm going to boil some water on the stove, fill it up and evaluate what happens. If it melts, I'm only out a few fittings, most of which I had laying around. Using it as a randall is a great idea also, If I have to pick I'd rather have it a hopback, but if it works I should be able to use it for both by changing out the barbs. Cheers and thanks for the speedy replies

Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

The body might withstand the heat but the pvc will certainly melt, I'd imagine that the bowl will melt as well.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 52

way too small

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHoppyGuy
way too small
How big should it be? I.E. how many ounces of hops should it be able to hold? The body withstood the heat fine, but I didn't think about the pvc. I don't know if I can get brass bushings that size. The inlet/outlet is 1 1/4" fpt. Wyzazz...its not that I didn't believe you, just had to see for myself. Thanks for the help...would love to use this tomorrow if it can be done

Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I was joking about the size (note my name)
The brass available. Finding it where you live is the question

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer View Post
Thanks...I think I'm going to boil some water on the stove, fill it up and evaluate what happens.
physical melting isnt the only concern. the main reason to follow heat ratings on plastic housings like this is because above the recomended temperature the plasticizers and other chemicals rapidly leech out. not only is it not good to ingest them, but that makes the plastic brittle and prone to cracking.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger

physical melting isnt the only concern. the main reason to follow heat ratings on plastic housings like this is because above the recomended temperature the plasticizers and other chemicals rapidly leech out. not only is it not good to ingest them, but that makes the plastic brittle and prone to cracking.
Thanks, it is looking like I probably won't use it, at least for tomorrows brew. You guys talked me out of it. I didn't mean to sound obstinate, but I hate not being able to use free stuff, but I'm not prepared to gamble an entire batch on it

It doesn't have any temp ratings printed on it, it does have a sticker that says not to use for alcohol, which rules it out as a randall also

Thanks for the prompt replies...wnc

Quick Reply