New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Things are getting serious...dare I say 'commitment?'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
98EXL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poguemahone
You can either use a regular aquarium air pump with stone and hepa filter or pure oxygen
I've got a aquarium pump that I've been trying to figure something out to do with.....that sounds like it....just need a hepa filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poguemahone
My boil occurs outside my dusty garage that's also got a bit of sawdust around. I use a lid with a notch cut for my spoon so that it keeps any big nasties out while I'm brewing (prior to that I've had leaves fall in - just pluck them out, didn't hurt a thing).

Mainly have to worry about dust when transferring to carboy and getting on your equipment (thermometer, thief, caps, etc). I make sure to turn off any fans and a/c when moving wort around and keep my sanitized gear covered with some foil.
so just be careful....got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYetiBrew
I laid a couple HBs on their side and i wouldn't recommend doing that, you have the cake that forms in the bottle on the side rather than the bottom, could be troublesome...
yeah, didn't think about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
A utility sink is a must. Install a double basin. I keep one side filled with sanitizer solution. You'll never regret a few extra bucks for the second tub.

That said, don't drain to the sump pit. Tap into one of your plumbing drains that run from upstairs. You'll be surprized how much use you get from a utility sink and the stuff your bound to be running through the drain is not something you want running into your yard or the local sewage feed.
good call on the double sink....but I don't see why dumping into the sump would not be a good idea....all of everything goes into a drainage field in the backyard anyway......

I'm back!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
poguemahone

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL
good call on the double sink....but I don't see why dumping into the sump would not be a good idea....all of everything goes into a drainage field in the backyard anyway......
If you are using Idophor for your sanitation you don't want to put it down the drain into your septic. It will wreck the bacteria in your septic tank if you put it down the drain.

Conditioning Keg 2:
Conditioning Keg 3:
Kegerator Tap 1: Dry Stout
Kegerator Tap 2: Six Malt Amber Ale
Kegerator Tap 2: Optimator Lager
Just Finished: Dry Stout

Old 04-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
98EXL

Recipes 

nah, we have a drain field for everything....no tank. I have no idea if that is good or bad, but it's there nonetheless

I'm back!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

DON'T LAY BOTTLES ON THEIR SIDES!!!! I did this. For 3 months 3 22oz bottles I couldn't fit in my box with the rest laid there. The beer softened the rubber on the under side of the cap and rusted a bit. Nasty metal rust taste in my bottles.... DON'T LAY THEM DOWN!!!! for a day or 2, camping trip i'm sure it's fine, long time storage keep them straight up and down.... just my 2cp.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
98EXL

Recipes 

good info....I guess I don't want to lay them down afterall

I'm back!!!

Quick Reply