Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Thermostat temp controller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
supaphly42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Thermostat temp controller?

Just bought a house, finally get my own brewing area! Anyway, I also got an upright freezer from my parents. I had everything for kegging except, so I'm rather excited. We're going to replace the dial-type thermostat in the house with a digital programmable one. However, since it's for both heat and a/c, I'm wondering if I can use that somehow as a temp control in the freezer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1146 Times on 930 Posts

The thermostat likely runs on low voltage AC (like 24 volts) and can switch only milliamps of current. So you'd probably need a transformer to run the thermostat and a couple of relays to switch the compressor and a heat source.

By the time you add all of that up, you'd probably do better using a Love controller or similar all-in-one device...

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
JonnySax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i thought the same thing when i changed over to a programmable thermostat... but then i found out how cheap it was to build a temp controller...

i followed this thread exactly and it looks and works great! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/freezer-fermentation-cabinet-controller-315786/

Keg 1: air
Keg 2: Nut Brown
On Deck: Jasmine Blonde Ale, Belgian Citrus Pale Ale

Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
wsender
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaphly42 View Post
Just bought a house, finally get my own brewing area! Anyway, I also got an upright freezer from my parents. I had everything for kegging except, so I'm rather excited. We're going to replace the dial-type thermostat in the house with a digital programmable one. However, since it's for both heat and a/c, I'm wondering if I can use that somehow as a temp control in the freezer?
I think this is exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/u9qx6/a_minifridge_temperature_controller_i_made_with_a/

Nice to see a fellow upstate brewer!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

The guys on eBay are currently selling the STC-1000 for $20 delivered. You can probably sell your old house thermostat for almost that much on Craig's List. The STC will do a much better job. It's much more configurable and it has a compressor protection setting.

Bob

Quick Reply